1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT failed action plan: Urgent help needed

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by emu15, Mar 5, 2017.

1. This is a story, all about how, my life got flipped, turned upside down. I'd like to take a minute, so sit right there, I'll tell you how i failed my action plan and lesson observation.

In Greater London, placed and trained, in the classroom where i spent most of my days, teaching, marking, working all hours, helping out in events outside of the department. When a couple of pupils who were up to no good, started having trouble in their understanding. I got into one little hailstorm and my mentor got scared, 'you're going on the action plan with yout PCM and borough manager.'

I whistled in boredom and when the email popped up, it was marked urgent and a meeting was set. If anything, I say damn this is bad, 'yo run to PCM's office.' I pulled up to the building, about 1 or 2 and yelled to my ego, 'yo, bring it down a notch.' I looked at her office, I was finally there, to sit in my chair as the start of the action plan.

(true story in a nutshell, below is the update)

I had my lesson observation as one of my target (i had 3) for the action plan. The target was subject knowledge. My previous observations were really good except this one. It was bad luck, the board stop working, I was nervous and carried on without the board where all my slides were. As a result, it took the pupils longer to understand. I was told a significant number of pupils did not understand nor made progress.

Now, I am worried of the outcome. I won't know until tomorrow but there could be a possibility of me being fired. I have passed my first term with flying colours. I was put on the action plan and was told by my mentor and PCM that i have shown a positive attitude towards the action plan with determination to succeed. Unfortunately, my mentor and HoD feels that I have not yet achieved the target on subject knowledge. They believe I know the topic but didn't explain it well enough for pupils.

I need advice as I am worried that I will fail my NQT and not have a chance in teaching ever again. Please let me know what your views are and what I should do.

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Might be better on workplace dilemmas.
    The thing with subject knowledge, it's not what's in your head but what you do to enable that knowledge to be communicated to the kids.
    You're unlikely to fail on one obs, but if you think there's a chance of this then you need to talk to your union rep about ensuring the school sticks to the letter of the law.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

IF they decide that you are not making progress on your action plan, they cannot 'fire' you, although they can politely suggest that you resign to save yourself from failing the NQT year. You are only half way through term 2, so if they do say this, and you do resign, then your second term of the NQT induction will stop immediately, and your NQT year will be preserved. This will mean that you have only completed one term, and have two remaining, which you can undertake at another school in the future. This happened to me last year, and I was able to find a school that was a better fit.

Contact the named person at your local authority for impartial advice, contact your union if you need support from them such as negotiating an early leaving date and reference.