1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Extension (Help Needed)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shin-nead, Mar 20, 2019.

1. shin-nead

shin-nead New commenter

Hi All,

I’m in a bit of a tricky Situation and was hoping you might be able to help me out in some way.

I’m going to try and shorten a very long, complicated story. I was an NQT in a school and finished my first two terms easily without complaint, in my third term the headteacher said that they didn’t feel they could pass me (even though they had only seen me teacher a handful of times unlike my mentor). I later found out my mentor who was not in the meeting had no idea this was happening. I agreed and said id do whatever needed done, even though the reasons were pretty vague. Fast forward to October 2018 I’m repeating my third term and having made sure to already have 3 formal observations under my belt (two by new mentor and one by another teacher all of which were very positive). The head teacher calls me for a meeting and says that they don’t feel as though they can pass me in December, that they would fail me and that I should “get back to them when I’ve thought about the options” … in my confusion and state of upset I had no idea what they meant by ‘options’. I later spoke to my mentor (who again did not know this was happening) and she said that when the head teacher informed her it was strongly implied that if I handed in my notice and left in December then they wouldn’t have to Fail me. I agreed and handed in the notice.

Later in November the head teacher came to me again saying that as I was remaining until the end of December the council would still want a final report and final mark for me which she was unwilling to do as in her eye it would be a ‘Fail’. Therefore, she had to extend my NQT again. I’m not sure if I now have to complete 1 term or 2 terms in the next school I work in (hopefully in September) but am looking into it.

Getting to my problem, I’m starting to look at writing a personal statement for a potential teaching post in September and have no idea how to go about explaining my situation to a headteacher either in my statement or in an interview. I feel it reflects so badly on me even though I know I’m a good teacher and that I have been treated horribly. I also know however if I tell what has happened it appears very one sided and as though I’m slating my previous employer which is very unprofessional. How do you think I should go about it, what reasons should I give? And also, how do you think this might affect my future employment chances?

(I would be most grateful to receive responses from current or past head teachers as well)

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If that's your real name, I would get it changed.

Did you talk to your union when all this was going on? Have you talked to them now?

Have you managed to get supply work that you can use for references? If not, you will need to use the head of your last school as a referee, whch doesn't sound as if it's going to be a good thing.

I think probably the best you can do is something along the lines of "although my third term observations were all good, my NQT period was extended by my last school, so I still need to complete a third term of NQT." You must have been given some idea of why it wasn't being signed off - see if you can find a way to put a reasonably positive spin on it or demonstrate that you have rectified whatever it was that they regarded as a problem.

3. abacus1982

abacus1982 Occasional commenter

Talk to whichever appropriate body for nqt the school are using. If they've raised a concern and said you are at risk of failing they should have been informed and visited to check the school has done everything right. Also speak to your union.