1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Extension for lack of support

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by rtanyac, Aug 4, 2015.

1. rtanyac

rtanyac New commenter

Hello

I've looked over the government regulations for NQT extension, but think that the answer is vague, so asking people on here to check and thank in advance your answers.

Owing to my first school's complete lack of support as a P/T NQT, the NQT borough coordinator has decided to grant an extension of a term which according their letter 'will be competed at the end of the autumn term on Friday 18th December 2015' .

Adding to the mix, I left this first school in May 2014, and got a maternity cover job from January to July 2015 to complete the NQT full time. This second school was more supportive, but I was the only teacher in the department and I had to get that year's cohort through their BTEC, which they passed. As I only really had from May half term to July to attain Teachers' Standards, this school, felt that I couldn't be signed off ; despite carrying out all other teacher duties.

My question is, although I gained QTS in September 2013, does the extension period have to be completed by the date stipulated or have I got till 2018 (5 year completion date)?

If it is to be by Friday 18th December 2015, what if I cannot find/get a post in a suitable school, as I do not wish to repeat the first school.

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

There is no time limit for completing induction. The "5 year" thing you mention is the length of time you can work in teaching (in state schools) without completing induction - eg. short term supply. After 5 years you cannot do any more short term supply, but you can still complete induction.

However, I am not sure whether your extension is unlimited or whether it must be completed next term. Could you contact your NQT borough to clarify?

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

To add to Kartoska's advice..It is not just a case of being "signed off".. induction is not simply time serving but an active process of planned assessment, support and development. I assume that you were assessed for 2 terms in your second school and both of these were recorded as not meeting standards? If this was so then there should have been an action plan and targeted support to address the areas of concern.

The extension letter is for a term, this obviously depends upon securing a post so the time limit of December is therefore irrelevant.