1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT evidence file - necessary or not?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by mevdog1971, Jun 22, 2011.

1. mevdog1971

mevdog1971 New commenter

I am an NQT. My question is whether a evidence file is actually necessary.
    The TDA 2007 documentation listing the 41 standards says clearly, and in bold, on the first page that as long as tthe NQT is proceeding normally through the schools induction process an additional eveidenc base is not required.
    My question is whether other NQT are being told to produce files of evidence, and if so if any one had been able to successfully resist! A recent local authority visitor has asked for a file on the assumption that the file is a document we should make available.

2. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

i dont have one, so hope this far into the year that no one asks for one!!

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I don't have one and have never been asked to keep one. I do, however, have a variety of folders with all kinds of evidence from parents evening to assessments to SEN etc etc. I also keep a staff meetings notebook and write fairly regular evaluations on my NQT training (on the advice of my mentor). So I guess were I asked to rustle something up I could do but it would be a pain to collate!

4. I never had one. Some las require one though.

5. At my first school, provided you completed your full 3 terms as an NQT in the same school, you were not expected to produce reams of evidence as the HT knew whether or not you were meeting the standards. However, I changed schools for the final term of my induction and had to provide my new HT with access to my evidence files before she would sign me off! So my advice would be to ask your HT what his/her expectations are and consider whether you are likely to change schools mid-way through your induction year.

6. Hi
    There is no statutory requirement to keep a portfolio of evidence. That said, some LAs do require NQTs to keep an evidence file and, as the LA is the body that either passes or fails you on induction (the headteacher merely recommends a pass or fail) then it would be unwise to resist the instruction of the person who ultimately will make the final decision on your induction.
    I do personally recommend keeping an evidence file (nothing as comprehensive or detailed as your training files) where you show evidence of meeting each of the core standards. That way a holistic judgement of your work across all areas of the standards can be made. If you have no 'other' evidence, then it will be just the observations that inform the school's overall judgement and the general impression you make around the school. In my mind that is less secure. If everything is going well, if you do not move schools etc. then the 'evidence' may not be needed, but if for some reason the school says yuou are not making satisfactory progress and you disagree, then you have something to base it on - your evidence.
    James

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I had to x

8. mflnqt

mflnqt New commenter

I have to at the minute, however it is really light nothing like PGCE teaching files.
    just one or two pieces of evidence for each standard and then lesson observations and feedback sheets plus your end of each term report.

9. I have had to keep one with the two authorities I have worked for but in all honesty it is mainly a table with each standard listed and then what I have done to achieve that standard. I have a few examples of planning, a few pieces of children's work, my observations and feedback (although 2 of these have been formal LA/school observations rather than NQT observations so have received feedback for verbally as any other class teacher would do rather than as a formal written thing). Also had an OFSTED inspection this year where my lesson was graded 'good'. My CEDP is in it and some work I did towards objectives, but that was mainly at my first school.
    I have a record of CPD, which I plan to carry on completing each year as I think this could be useful to identify areas I may need to develop myself - so more for me than anyone else and also useful for future PM interviews too.