1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT evaluation from LA - Do I send it back or not?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Bobby_Carrot, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Hi all
    What would you do?
    I have been sent an evaluation form back from the LA regarding my induction. I would have had no hesitation sending it back if it had been anonymous, but it asks for quite a few details including my name and school. Now I understand they would need this because if your induction had not been positive or things need improving need to be addressed, but also I feel that I do not want to burn any bridges as you never know what will happen in the future and who you will come across.
    My induction was OK and I had a mentor (although they were often busy with their other roles) and the minimum observations and I was given NQT time but that was about it. It asks about CPD - well could tick that I had received school INSET training in staff meetings as had other staff, but that was it. They asked were objectives set (they were at my 1st school with a different LA, but not at my second). They asked if I had been given opportunitiy to observe others (I hadn't everyone was either receiving support themselves or didn't want someone in the classroom) and finally was a there structured support put in for during NQT time - nope, I just used it as extra planning/marking time or off my own bat to find out about things to improve subject knowledge or my own practice. There was also a couple of issues with parents/behaviour I didn't think had been dealt with brilliantly either in terms of NQT support.
    I had a fantastic experience in my GTP year and in the first term of my NQT year, but the second two terms have left me questioning myself at times and because of the behaviour/parent issues, I am nervous about going back in to the classroom in September.
    I know if I don't speak out, things won't improve for future NQTs but I also don't want to rock the boat. I am moving on and got through my NQT year. I also wonder who I will come across again.

2. Hi all
    What would you do?
    I have been sent an evaluation form back from the LA regarding my induction. I would have had no hesitation sending it back if it had been anonymous, but it asks for quite a few details including my name and school. Now I understand they would need this because if your induction had not been positive or things need improving need to be addressed, but also I feel that I do not want to burn any bridges as you never know what will happen in the future and who you will come across.
    My induction was OK and I had a mentor (although they were often busy with their other roles) and the minimum observations and I was given NQT time but that was about it. It asks about CPD - well could tick that I had received school INSET training in staff meetings as had other staff, but that was it. They asked were objectives set (they were at my 1st school with a different LA, but not at my second). They asked if I had been given opportunitiy to observe others (I hadn't everyone was either receiving support themselves or didn't want someone in the classroom) and finally was a there structured support put in for during NQT time - nope, I just used it as extra planning/marking time or off my own bat to find out about things to improve subject knowledge or my own practice. There was also a couple of issues with parents/behaviour I didn't think had been dealt with brilliantly either in terms of NQT support.
    I had a fantastic experience in my GTP year and in the first term of my NQT year, but the second two terms have left me questioning myself at times and because of the behaviour/parent issues, I am nervous about going back in to the classroom in September.
    I know if I don't speak out, things won't improve for future NQTs but I also don't want to rock the boat. I am moving on and got through my NQT year. I also wonder who I will come across again.

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I didn't send mine, read into that what you will [​IMG] x

4. mflnqt

mflnqt New commenter

I havent recieved an evaluation form...I was in the same predicament awful first school (for 1 term) and then a wonderful second school for the other 2 terms.... and i'm still there!
    Have you received your induction certificate from the GTC??

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Which would be what most NQTs get. Those who have more than the minimum observations tend to come on here complaining about how unfair it is. Please don't start a trend for complaining about getting the minimum as well, we mentors can't always read an NQTs mind as to what they would like and would feel guilty about offering extra observations. Just say you had all the necessary observations, was given the required time and had a mentor. They will get from that you didn't get extras.
    Which you could mention in a positive way by saying the school had provided school wide INSET which you found beneficial, but perhaps the LA could consider providing NQT specific INSET. Then if there is LA NQT specific INSET they know to make it more clear to schools and NQTs and if there isn't they might think about organising some.
    Which could be because objectives are set at entry points, which would have been last Sept and would ideally be to last the year. Your second school would not have filled in entry point paperwork so it probably never occurred to them. Once the year gets going my NQT and I are generally more concerned with the day to day business of teaching and making sure standards are met and we can say how, we tend not to worry about the objectives set all that time ago. We revisited them at the end of the year and fell about laughing at how daft they were considering how the year panned out. You could just write that objectives were set at entry point 2 (think it is2?) but not reviewed due to a change of school.
    Which makes life very hard for you, but you could have asked to visit other schools to observe, in your NQT time. Just by ringing neighbouring schools and explaining and asking if you can observe the same year group you teach. Not that I'd have had anything like the confidence to do any such thing in my NQT year, but I know people who have. You could just write no, but you would have liked to.
    LOL you and every other NQT I know! Please, please don't start saying you want a structured, timetabled programme or mentors might end up finding they HAVE to provide such a thing and actually most NQTs need the time as PPA. Just write no there wasn't, but you appreciated the extra PPA time.

Which might be nothing to do with you being an NQT, just the way your school is. I can think of one or two similar things in my school this year and I am not an NQT. I would just move on from this and learn what you can for next time. SMT aren't always perfect, though I sometimes tell mine they ought to be!

Of all your post this is the part that concerns me most. You post lots of sense on here (TES generally), clearly have your head screwed on and know what you are doing. You help others and use your experience in a positive way. There is no cause at all for you to be nervous, you are clearly doing a great job and have a good career ahead of you. Seriously stop worrying, think about all you have learned and start getting organised and excited. You will be fine!

6. Thanks for you long and detailed response. In the end I have opted not to send it back. I feel I learned a lot during my NQT year, not necessarily about what goes on in the classroom, but about how to get along with a variety of different (and often temperamental) people, including other teachers, TAs, parents and children.
    I also learned about the kind of school I wanted to work in and although I ended up hating the school i was in, in some respects, I wouldn't change the experience I gained there because I think it will be very useful in the future.
    I think the difficulty in relating my experiences on the feedback form was because my experiences of being mentored and as an NQT in the two different schools in two different LAs were very different. My mentor at the first school had an horrific time as an NQT (ironically at my second school) and in some respects I wonder if his approach was too supportive (is that possible?) I know what I mean, just not explaining it very well. Whereas at my second school I was left very much to my own devices, and in some respects I think that will probably do me more good in the longer term. One of my colleagues did state that I 'did not come across like an NQT' but that might be down to prior experience with social services and in education, and also experience in a referral unit.
    I think the abusive parent I encountered shook my confidence more than I realised and being threatened by that child day in day out just became tedious. That said, I am moving to a completely different school, in a completely different LA - I think you are right about the school being a certain way too Minnie, as it was often said that place was 'different', other people teaching in the LA looked at each other in a strange way when you said where you were teaching, and there were some odd things going on which I don't want to discuss on a public forum LOL
    I am starting to get excited and been to Ikea and purchased my new class mascot (amongst other things LOL)

7. message for minnieminx..looking for some mentoring advice (no area for this on TES?) you are obviously an experienced mentor and we are having an NQT this year (small school..last NQT was 7 years ago!) and neither of us are sure where to find all the info we need for timetable for induction/core standards/forms to send to county? We have more questions than answers! Didn't there used to be a nice file?!! If you could help I would be soooo grateful
    bjeffness@aol.com many thanks

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I've emailed you vbjb42. An advice forum for mentors would definitely be a good thing on here!