1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Employment Question

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by ChrisThomo1994, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Hi!

I started my new role on June 1st as an NQT. When I was offered the role (in January), one of the 'perks' as such was that I would be paid from June and therefore paid over Summer. The reason for this was I was helping set up the Computing department in the school. (I'm a career changer and have experience setting up digital departments in industry).

Anyway, when I had my contract through, the LA are actually paying me as Unqualified. When I questioned this they said that it was standard and they could only pay me as that until they received my QTS confirmation.

My question is; will I get backdated pay when I get my QTS confirmation from the DFE (as my university have confirmed they're recommending me for QTS and I passed my PGCE). I've heard mixed responses on this?

I feel like, considering I know I'm being recommended, it's a frustration that I am on a severely lower wage for 3 months.

Thanks!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Actually you are on a wage rather than being on no wage...

I don't know what will be the actual date on your certificate.

I don't know what the policy of the LA is.

I don't know if what you are doing actually constitutes carrying out the role of a qualified teacher.

But I do know that you would really be better off just trying to forget this, feel happy that you have this extra time at the start to get to know the school, that you aren't selling ice-cream on the seafront to fill the coffers.

I'm just concerned that you are possibly going to feel aggrieved about this, and that will be a bad start for your NQT year.

If it comes, count it as a bonus. If it doesn't, shrug it off, is my advice.

Good luck for when the students arrive and teaching starts!

Twitter @Theo_Griff

3. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

You are being paid on the 'Unqualified' scale because that's what you are. It isn't a judgement. The plus of this is that after around 8 weeks work, you will be paid for a further 5 or 6 weeks over the Summer. That means you are being paid double for the actual amount of work you're doing. The school could have chosen to put you on a short contract from June to the end of term, 8 weeks, and paid you just for that.

I have to say I think the school have been very generous, it's almost unheard of to be paid over the summer after so very short a time. Count your blessings.