1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT EARLY YEARS TEACHER ADVICE REQUIRED

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by henna1243, May 15, 2019.

1. henna1243

henna1243 New commenter

Hi, I am an NQT and require some advice. I would appreciate any advice given.

I qualified in 2016 as an Early Years Teacher and I have worked in the school as an Unqualified Teacher before I graduated. After graduating I have worked in a couple of schools for short term contracts (under a term) and mainly fro 2016 to the present teacher been working as a day to day supply teacher to fill gaps.
    During this time, I have been working at around seven local schools to cover.

I have been struggling to find a full time position as an Early Years Teacher as there are not many jobs going in the town that I am from. But now I am looking to re-locate. It seems that it looks like there are gaps on my application form as I have not put the local schools I have worked with from my supply agency on the application forms. I am not sure if I can, or should put these schools down to strengthen my application as it was not a direct contract from the school, it was through the agency.

I would appreciate advice as I am extremely struggling to find something permanent and even begin my NQT year.

2. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Why wouldn’t you put where you worked on your form, just head it up supply work and list where what when, otherwise how would they know you actually did any work ?
    When you say Early Years Teacher, do you mean PGCE (qts) Early Years or EYT. If it’s the latter then I’m not surprised you’re struggling to find work. This was a ridiculous notion dreamed up to professionalise early years but is really limiting for you and an employer. A school would much rather employ someone with qts then they can teach across the school. If it’s EYT and you still want to teach, do a pgce and be prepared to work across primary.

Henna647398393 likes this.
  3. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

If you have qts you have to stop limiting yourself and look at all primary teacher jobs. EY are at best 2/8 job roles.

Henna647398393 likes this.
  4. Henna647398393

Henna647398393 New commenter

Yes, I do have QTS. I'm hoping to find something for September this year. I will be including all the local schools I have worked at for day to day cover and take it from there.

5. Henna647398393

Henna647398393 New commenter

Yes I have QTS. I will add that to my applications and hopefully find something for September.