1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - do I still want to attempt to pass the year?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by ScarlettArmstr, Mar 27, 2017.

1. ScarlettArmstr

ScarlettArmstr New commenter

Im a 22 year old NQT with a degree in Primary education. I've always wanted to be a teacher and did really well at uni during my placements etc and left with a 2:1.

Long story short, I went into a full time position the September after graduation. The school did not support me whatsoever and expected a lot of me with no guidance of how to achieve it. Unfortunately in the January of that year I decided to leave as I was on track to failing the year if I stayed there with the lack of support.

This broke my love of teaching. I went into a customer service job shortly after to get some money and with the ideal that teaching was not for me. This job then made me realise I did really want to do it. With the help of an agency I found a school that would take me on the next September for the two remaining terms of my NQT year. I would stay with the agency while doing this and the idea was when I passed, they would take me on permanently. I was excited and agreed to this.

Fast forward to last month after not making the expected progress in autumn 2016, my headteacher said I needed to leave the school as I was in danger of failing my NQT year and not being able to teach again. This was due to having only two terms to make progress as the first school was not successful.

My current situation is left with myself doing supply work but not enjoying or wanting to go back into teaching. I am primarily doing it for the money. My love teaching has vanished and it kills me.

What can I do with a Primary teaching degree that's not a teacher?

I'm absolutely stuck and have no idea what to do next! Please help! Any advice would be massively appreciated!

2. pcsmush

pcsmush Occasional commenter

Now this may be a stupid suggestion considering that the Government is not increasing funding to schools,
    but have you considered trying a support role? There are still plenty of LSA positions advertised.

This way you will hopefully regain your love for teaching, learn from other teachers and also earn a little bit of money. :0

Good luck, Lovely. :')

peter12171 likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Presumably you now only have one term left to pass you NQT year?
    I would do what @pcsmush suggests and take a TA role for a while. When you've built up your confidence and reputation, that same school may well find a way for you to gradually teach and pass your NQT year with them.

Getting a teaching role will be tricky if you haven't been able to pass in two schools already.

sabrinakat likes this.
  4. gwest91

gwest91 New commenter

I would be inclined to do as other posters have said and try to get some experience in schools not actively working as a teacher. This should help you to find a school that will be properly supportive as well. Unfortunately the climate in teaching at the moment isn't always great but I'd say it's definitely an advantage to get your NQT year passed if you can as if things change in the future you may want to come back to it. If you are absolutely set on not teaching again or not in the immediate future there are some ideas here https://teachinggems.wordpress.com/2017/03/22/career-choices/ for careers you could consider that go well with teaching experience. Good luck for the future! Let us know what you decide to do.

5. Mr_G_ICT

Mr_G_ICT New commenter

I was in a similar position in NQT year. i had to leave my first school with a term left to go and go on supply. I was 28 and felt really low and couldn't see a way through. I think an unsupportive school or a school that is just "not right for you" will make you feel that way.

I eventually got a long term supply and i'm now a head of faculty. What i'm saying is, if it's something you want, keep pushing, don't give up.

I'd also suggest keep applying for jobs, the way I got the long term supply made more permanent was by applying for the job, they were not confident to give me a job because of my record so they paid for me to do supply work in the school to see what i had to offer.