1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Disaster

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by ellis1912, Jun 22, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I started at a school in Jan for my induction year but have received very little support and indeed being bullied relentlessly by my dept - no schemes of work, resources withdrawn or hidden from me, HoD making fun of me in front of students, my own resources deleted from my office computer etc etc - I just didn't imagine education was like this. Things have come to a head and I'm currently off for three weeks with stress and depression over it all. I need to take early release I suspect, all my official lesson observations have being outstanding from my mentor who isn't on my dept, my LEA report too and I was considered an exceptional trainee on my PGCE at all my placements. My exam results will not be that good as I wasn't really sure what I was doing and A-Level is hard to teach and I trained teaching mostly a different subject although my PGCE certificate does include my current subject. Is my teaching career over i.e. taking time off, leaving through induction etc? Should I try and see if I can get supply in Sept or agency work?

2. Hi,
    I started at a school in Jan for my induction year but have received very little support and indeed being bullied relentlessly by my dept - no schemes of work, resources withdrawn or hidden from me, HoD making fun of me in front of students, my own resources deleted from my office computer etc etc - I just didn't imagine education was like this. Things have come to a head and I'm currently off for three weeks with stress and depression over it all. I need to take early release I suspect, all my official lesson observations have being outstanding from my mentor who isn't on my dept, my LEA report too and I was considered an exceptional trainee on my PGCE at all my placements. My exam results will not be that good as I wasn't really sure what I was doing and A-Level is hard to teach and I trained teaching mostly a different subject although my PGCE certificate does include my current subject. Is my teaching career over i.e. taking time off, leaving through induction etc? Should I try and see if I can get supply in Sept or agency work?

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

No. Lots of people leave induction part way through for all sorts of reasons.

It's not an career ending moment.

Well you can try, but there's not a lot of it about. No harm in going for it.

But you could also try your hand at tutoring, trying to find a role in further education or simply applying to schools that look like they'll be a better fit for you.

Many others have been in your situation. It is not the end of the world.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If your observations have been outstanding, there's every reason to suppose that your second Induction term will be signed off stating that you are on target for meeting the standards by the end of your Induction period.
    Your absence may length your finish date of Induction in your final Induction term but only if your total days of absence reach 30 days or more.
    3 weeks off is 15 days, so it may not be an issue as long as you are not off for the rest of the term. It won't affect your 2nd Induction term in any case.
    Have you been able to confide in the mentor from outside your department about the deletion of your resources etc?
    I know of someone who is having issues with a colleague and the school are supporting her in making official statements about the colleague as, apparently, this is not the first time that employees have been targetted by the person in question, but others have left instead of officially recording the treatment received.

5. I would contact your union for support and help if you want to negotiate an early release, it is possible but you need to ensure that you have an agreed exit strategy which includes an agreed reference. Sadly bullying of teachers is the unseen demon of teaching. Such behaviour by pupils is condemed but with staff it seems to be overlooked or in some cases condoned which is unforgivable. You should discuss your second term and ensure that is complete. Your time off may not count against you as it is only 15 days and in exceptional circumstances a LA can reduce induction by up to 29 days (a change of job could fall into the exceptional category.
    Also contact the teacher support network for help and advice:
    http://teachersupport.info/
    The Sage