1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT decision - Resign or call Union?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Middlemarch, May 18, 2011.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

If they've told him to resign they'll certainly let him go early, you can depend on it.

2. OK, should he assume he will be paid his notice period (3 months according to contract)?

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

No I wouldn't assume that. Its something you need to try and get the union to discuss for you. x

4. Hi
    He must seek union help and advice on this. I fail to see why tomorrow is being stated as a day when he 'must resign'.
    Durinmg inductiomn schools have a legal duty to provide help and support and not just target after target - e.g. there could be a need for extra training.
    If the school has not followed the statutory guidnace he could appeal a recommenfdation to fail.
    The normal resignation date for leaving at the end of the summer term is the end of May. If the school is willing to release him early from his contract then that could happen at any point - so I don't see why the resignation should happen tomorrow - What are the school saying about the notice period? Or are they saying leave immediately?
    He should seek advice from the union and any exit should be a strategically negotiated one.
    To be honest if the school is placing pressure to resign then it may be construed as constructive dismissal and he could take action against the school.
    Very improtant and life changing decisions should not be made on a whim.
    My advice would be that he tells the head that he is seeking advice about his options and position and that a resignation may well be the best course of action, but that he needs to seek advice.
    If there were problems then the LA should have been involved and moderated the judgement and the issues should not just be based on a couple of obervations. Clearly he has to work to meet the targets but there should have been in place success criteria so that he and the school know whgen he has or has not met a target.
    James

5. My situation is almost identical. I did my first term at a different school and passed. But they only needed cover for a term so I moved on. At my new school I'm working around the clock and being told that my lessons wouldn't meet the requirements for an Ofsted rating of 'satisfactory'. I was told on Friday that I would be having a meeting with the head to 'discuss' my report and was so afraid of failing that I ended up having an anxiety attack at my desk and got sent home. If they do fail me (and I'm prepared for this) I'm going to look at handing in my notice but will be seeking union advice as to the best way to negotiate a way out. I'll let you know how I get on!

6. Quit and let another teacher who needs a job apply for yours. [​IMG]

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Now now nicholas play nice [​IMG]
    Many have been in this position, you should involve your union but personally I'd make sure they have no connections with the school.
    I believe you have up to 6 years to sue for constructive dismissal? Therefore I wouldn't take this route unless you struggle to get another post, that way you can avoid the possible appearance of being a troublemaker and losing posts because of it (even if you are in the right). x