1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - decided to resign - advice please

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by lizlucy, Feb 5, 2016.

1. lizlucy

lizlucy New commenter

My daughter started her NQT year in a local primary school in September. She has found the amount of work difficult to cope with. She arrives at school early, leaves late and works every evening until late and most of every weekend. She has no life outside teaching.
    I retired from teaching in July although I worked in the secondary sector so am aware of the amount of work needed but she is breaking under the strain. If she did not live at home then I don't know how she would cope with day to day washing, shopping etc.
    She has been referred to Occupational Health by the school and has visited her GP but has not been signed off as she wanted to keep going. She has finally come to us to say that she has decided that teaching is not for her and we fully support her decision. I am actually relieved as she was becoming ill with it all.
    She has contacted her union and is waiting for them to get back to her but if anyone has any advice for her, it would be most welcome.
    Thanks

2. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Is she in any danger of failing her probationary year? If not..... then why not see if she can at least complete that? It would mean (until the goal posts are moved of course ) that she could return to teaching later on (if pigs should fly and politicians etc see some common sense )
    As a long standing teacher I appreciate that you know all the pitfalls and downsides of the job as it is nowadays but then couldn't you also give her some tips on time management,learning how to say "No" on the occasions it is needed and working "SMART" - just to use some of the dreadful jargon of the day?
    As I see the "legs of Man" are you on the island? I somewhat naively maybe felt that the pace of life on the island was better than elsewhere in the UK..... one would have hoped modern educational **** hadn't reached there too :(

3. lizlucy

lizlucy New commenter

Not on the island, have lived in England since 1980 but still visit family.

She is struggling in NQT year so wants to take a break from it. She may complete it later and wants current school to support this if possible.

I think she will become ill if she carries on. She was noticeably happier last night after making her decision.

4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Best of luck to her - carrying on is a fool's game these days!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Is she going to try and pass the second term of the NQT year? That will mean that if/when she returns, she will only have one more term to go.

I am sorry that she feels this way, but am pleased that she is living at home for moral support, as well as Mum's cooking!

Here are two advice articles that may be useful to her for resigning.

Easter resignations - different term dates old school new school

Letter: resigning a teaching job

Best wishes to her for the rest of term, and to you for your retirement.