1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT daydreaming of being a TA again...

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by megan77, Apr 8, 2012.

1. ...I know I should be grateful to have a permanent contract, but after battling through two terms, I am seriously unsure if I can work at this pace long-term. I miss my friends, my family, and I am sick of thinking about work 24:7. If it weren't for the children, I would happily have resigned at Christmas. I know the deadline is 31st May to give notice and I can't help thinking how much I loved being in school when I was a TA and how horrendous it is now I'm the Teacher. Anyone else dreading the final term?

2. ...I know I should be grateful to have a permanent contract, but after battling through two terms, I am seriously unsure if I can work at this pace long-term. I miss my friends, my family, and I am sick of thinking about work 24:7. If it weren't for the children, I would happily have resigned at Christmas. I know the deadline is 31st May to give notice and I can't help thinking how much I loved being in school when I was a TA and how horrendous it is now I'm the Teacher. Anyone else dreading the final term?

3. I was going to post almost the exact same thing! No, the EXACT same thing!
    I have a permenant contract but have been off with depression for the past month. The job just wore me down, I love teaching but being a teacher is too much. I want my evenings back and my weekends, I want to be able to sleep and not dream about work!
    I'm hoping to get early release from my contract so I don't have to go back for the final term, my health is far too important.
    Being a secondary school lab technician has caught my eye, and as they are usually part-time jobs, I am thinking about being a TA alongside that. I have coveted my TA's job for the past 6 months, I would love to do what she does, she teaches without having to be a teacher.
    Decide what's more important, your well-being or a job?
    The thing I've found most difficult is this: I have wanted to be a teacher since I was 8 years old, I worked my **** off at university for 3 years and now I can't cope with the job I thought I was born to do?! I was having a particularly bad day last week and A friend from church said to me "You know, you don't have to be a teacher." It was like a revelation! I don't have to be a teacher! I can stop and do something else with my life, something that will actually make me happy!
    It's that simple, we all deserve happiness, if you haven't got it, go and get it.
    Message me if you want, always nice to talk to someone who is going through similar things!
    xxx

4. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I am dreading the final term and I only have just over 2 weeks to get through until I leave on 30 April!
    Even 2 weeks more of it fills me with dread so I can only begin to imagine how you must be feeling with a whole term to go.
    If it is just the workload that you are struggling with then I am led to believe that it gets easier in year 2. I actually find the workload fine but can't cope with the behaviour. I teach nearly all Year 10 and have really difficult classes and no support from my mentor/hod or slt. I am leaving school teaching as a result but know another school would probably be different.
    I hope things are better for you on your return and good luck.

5. I know exactly what you mean, I have been thinking this as well. Why can't we have holiday and be on holiday why does it have to be full of work and guilt when you aren't working. I've decided that what I don't get done won't get done and I'm having some serious holiday time next week, I refuse to feel guilty after waking up stressed and panicking this morning about how I couldn't get everything done which is how I felt for the whole of the last holiday. NQT folder anyone? Eeek, hope no-one asks to see mine anytime soon.