1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT courses, where do I look?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by lunablanket, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Good Afternoon,
    I was told by SLT that I should be looking to sign up for some more training courses, I signed up for a few offered by LEA but to be honest the others offered I personally didn't think that I would bennefit and I didn't want to go on a course just for the sake of it!! I would really like to go on a phonics course-a worthwhile one where they actually give you teaching ideas, rather than go on about the History, or try and sell a programme!!! Anybody have any suggestions?!

2. Good Afternoon,
    I was told by SLT that I should be looking to sign up for some more training courses, I signed up for a few offered by LEA but to be honest the others offered I personally didn't think that I would bennefit and I didn't want to go on a course just for the sake of it!! I would really like to go on a phonics course-a worthwhile one where they actually give you teaching ideas, rather than go on about the History, or try and sell a programme!!! Anybody have any suggestions?!

3. I'm going on my first one this week. It's with Creative Education (www.creativeeducation.co.uk) and it's a subject-specific NQT course covering a wide range of stuff. The school was given information by the company, and it was passed on to me.
    It seems like a decent place to start, they have a wide range of courses in various places aroundthe country, and I already have my eye on another one (I'll see how useful the one is this week first...)
    I've no idea how good this company is, or how useful the course is, but it's somewhere to start, if I have time, I'll report back on what I thought later this week.
    Happy hunting!

4. TheTinyTeacher

TheTinyTeacher New commenter

They seem very expensive! Is there any other companies that offer cheaper courses? I can't see my school forking out that much. Am I right in thinking schools are given a budget for our CPD? If so, how much is it?

5. which courses you attend will be a matter of negotiation between yhou and your school. There are various commercail companies, but local authorities also provide specific NQT courses. Colleagues may also suggest courses and companies that they haveattended/used.
    James

6. Look on your union website. I went on an NUT residential course for newly qualifieds last summer and it was free (plus the union covered travel costs). Also I attended Language Show Live where there were free seminars on aspects of language teaching which came with certificates for CPD. Again these were free if booked in advance.
    HTH