1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT contract

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by mswisdom, Jun 18, 2019.

1. mswisdom

mswisdom New commenter

I would like to find out if your an NQT do you only get one year contract? Thereafter look for another job?

2. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

It depends on the school

mswisdom likes this.
  3. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

By the way it is you’re an NQT as in you are,

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I got a one year contract. That didn't necessarily have to mean that I would need to apply for another job after one year. The school could choose to offer me a new contract, or not, depending how they felt about me and me about them.

mswisdom likes this.
  5. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

The nqt year is a one year probationary period. You can take on a role that is permanent but if you were to fail the nqt year then the school wouldn't continue employing you. If you pass it then the school would just let your employment continue.

mswisdom likes this.
  6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You should ask if there is a reason why the post is not a permanent contract. There may be reasons for a temporary contact, covering absence or budget constraints for example. In my experience the majority of NQT posts are permanent

mswisdom likes this.