1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

NQT considering supply

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sabrinalane, Jul 7, 2011.

  1. Hi all,
    I've just finished my teaching degree and have no job for September. Therefore now considering my next option in the meantime, supply.
    Uni havn't been very helpful in advicing how to go about doing supply. I am aware of the 16month limit at which point I need to have completed my induction year but otherwise I'm pretty clueless!!
    Any help is greatly appreciated :)

    P.S Any tips for my personal statement would be fab as mines not getting me very far atm!!
  2. Are you secondary or primary?
  3. Hi Sabrina,
    there are many supply teaching agencies and I advise to register with more than one to be sure to get work. I don't know where you are located but myself I work for Capita and I believe they have agencies across England.
    When you register, make sure you know how much they will offer you. Also they could give you work as a teacher or as a cover supervisor which is paid less. Don't hesitate to ask them what you would get.
    Hope it helps a little!
  4. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    I think you are misunderstanding the 16 month supply rule. You do not need to have completed Induction by the end of the 16 month allowance.
    The allowance is to allow you to teach in the State 5-16 sector when you haven't managed to start Induction or haven't completed it.
    You count 16 months on from your first day of non-Induction QUALIFIED teaching in a school (whether agency or LA employed) and exactly 16 months later, your allowance to do such teaching runs out, even if you only ever got that one day of teaching work from your employer.
    If you then want to carry on teaching and still don't have one or more Induction terms lined up, you can apply to all the LAs where you could be available for short-term teaching for a supply extension.
    You have to make a case for it not being your fault thta your Induction is unstarted or incomplete and they can allow you to carry on supply teaching in their schools for up to another year after the 16 months expires.
    After all permissions have expired, you then have to stop taking teaching work in the 5-16 State sector until you can get an Induction term of work. That could happen a short time later or sevaral years or more later.
    You might also be lucky and find that you start or complete Induction during your allowance periods.
    If you don't find In duction work, you can teach in the Post 16 sector or in any stage of the private school sector or you can do another job or sign on as unemployed and make it abundantly clear that there might still be a need for your teaching services but the GOVERNMENT, via the dept of Education, won't allow newly qualified teachers to work after using up supply allowances but WILL let unqualified people teach classes in your place with no time limit!
    An Induction term does not have to start at the beginning of a school term. If a school employs you from 3 weeks into a term, for instance, and intends to still be employing you to teach 3 weeks into the next school term, they HAVE to start your Induction when you start working for them, register you as an NQT with the LA and give you your 10% NQT timetable reduction.
    I completed 2 Induction terms and had used up my supply allowance in 2001, with no extension then andno final Induction tern lined up. I was unemployed for 5 terms and eventually completed Induction in the summer term of 2003.
  5. jubilee

    jubilee Star commenter

    Oops! <strike>sevara</strike>l several<strike>!</strike>

Share This Page