1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT conditions

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by pb66, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Hi!

I'm struggling as a science NQT.
    The SOW is a basic few pages of A4 "you could try this" style info that has never been used, written by the previous HoD and not used by the current HoD.
    I've asked for help deciphering it - but the HoD found it almost as hard as me to plan lessons from.
    The technicians have rarely heard of the practicals in the SoW, but help as much as they can - with lots of suggested practicals and knowledge of available equipment.

I teach three A level classes, and 6 GCSE classes (2 Yr 11) - and of course never taught any in my training placements. The A level students are great - but they deserve a better teacher than me.

I have no classroom - having the use of one room for about half the time and travelling between upto four rooms per day.

Form time is in yet another room - and this school uses form tutors to do the register and not much else - so I have no working relationship with "my form"

behaviour is not an issue though (a big relief !!)

so my question - is this normal - am I being short changed?

I keep trying - working three hours per evening and most of the week end - but am letting the students down with awful lessons and just don't know if it's worth it

cheers

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

The current HoD must have a SoW somewhere...at least I'd hope so (particularly as they must be teaching something...). Not least so they cover the exam syllabus for GCSE. Departments can often buy SoWs if they're not feeling overly creative.
    Make sure you sit down with your HoD/subject mentor and map out what is expected of you over the next term and how much of the SoW you have is useful.

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Plan your own SOWs - map out what you are going to teach over the course so that the spec gets covered. Not in detail, just what you're going to teach and when. Then plan in detail what you're going to cover between now and Christmas in each lesson making allowances for time lost to Mocks and other activities.
    Show this to your HOD and ask for feedback. If all OK, plan your lessons. It's easier to do this for GCSE and A' level because you can the specifications to help you and you can do it so that it makes sense to you. Then ask if you can go to other schools in your NQT time and see how they manage (find out which are doing same spec) and ring the board yourself for advice. They have subject advisers who will help you.
    Rooming is an issue in some schools. Get to know your form as individuals - talk to two or three students at a time. Make sure you mix with other departments - you may find support from other teachers even if they don't teach your subject. Good luck!

4. This not absolutely normal, but does happen, as you know all too well. You could try setting some induction targets with your mentor related ro attending courses run by the GCSE/A level boards, there is also scope to ask the HOD about the purchase of supporting materials to help plan the schemes. Also ask about visiting other schools that teach the same specification so that you could visit and perhaps share some resouces.

James

5. Thanks for the replies

unfortunately it's all too much for me to tackle with the limited support available to me.

while looking for something resembling a scheme of work and medium term plan I found a template resignation letter - at last I've found something useful.

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I don't mean to be negative, but if you haven't actually resigned yet, I suggest you pop on to the "unemployed teachers" and "supply teachers" forums before you do.

7. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

I've had to write all new schemes of work for my music department, and although not at GCSE or A Level, try to look at it as all the same, so it won't scare you. Work through the spec at that level. Try and put together 6 week blocks of something so you won't feel so pressured, but there are loads of great resources on here you could use. Are there any other teachers at your school in your subject, or just you and your HoD? Try speaking to others, and don't do anything hasty.

8. Well, we have seen on these boards people resign over student behaviour and bullying management - but a missing SoW would be a first. I also suggest you pop over to the "unemployed" and "supply" boards...

9. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

Excellent advice! then you have SOWs for next year ready... and your 2nd year of teaching will be so much easier! Hang in there! This is not something you should resign over, take the advice of others who say look at the other forums; it's a very tough market out there and is going to get worse. If you leave now, I think this will look really strange to a prospective HT.

10. thanks again for the replies

I'm not worried about getting another job teaching - if I quit this one I quit the profession

but....
    I've taken your advice and started writing my own SoW

it's not good but it has helped get my thoughts together and made the problem seem solvable

it's reinventing the wheel when there are other better models already in use - but it's the only one I've got :)

clinging on ...