1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT cause for concern help please!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by radi01, Mar 12, 2017.

1. radi01

radi01 New commenter

I'm an NQT and since Christmas I have a new mentor. My previous termly sign off was straightforward - on track to meet all the standards etc but now my new mentor thinks I need more support with TS1 and 7 - and has raised a c for c - fair enough. The head and my mentor both put it down to my relationship with what can be a rather challenging class with some especially difficult pupils. I was told my class are switched off and sometimes totally disengaged. I haven't been given any specific advice on what to do other than be consistent, stick to the behaviour policy etc. On my PGCE year the mutual respect in my classroom was always a positive point and I am at a loss. Any tips for building a more positive relationship and get the kids on my side? I have been guilty of getting cross and shouting in the past and I'm working hard on focussing on positive behaviour.
    I love this school and still want to be there in September so any advice will be gratefully received!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

First thing that hit me was your statement was your comment 'I have been guilty of getting cross and shouting in the past', so that's going to take a while to rebuild relationships and show the class that you're not going to do that again.

So of course you are going to have to really focus on strategies to train yourself to be calm and controlled when the class 'is pushing you', which is typical 'pack behaviour'. Being in control and raising one's voice pretending to be disappointed is one thing and you need to drop your voice immediately you've got their attention. (They don't say teaching has a lot in common with drama for nothing! ;))

Yes focusing on positives, rewarding children who are doing the correct thing and ignoring those who are not can be a good way to go. But then don't fall into the trap of ignoring all low-level behaviour or that invites bigger problems.

Good Luck.

radi01 likes this.