1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT career change

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by inquisitor40k, Feb 7, 2019.

1. inquisitor40k

inquisitor40k New commenter

Hi all,

I was an NQT for four months and decided to leave (I was teaching Geography KS3, GCSE and A-Level as a history teacher; 90% of my timetable, I hated it!). After serious thought I've decided teaching isn't for me and have looked to change careers, but I cannot seem to find a job.

I've applied for three Student Recruitment Officer roles at uni's, and was turned down from each because 'teaching isn't adeuqate experience', even though job is going into schools, knowing pupils and guiding them on their choices when they hit 18. A handful of other education related jobs and one police related role I was also turned down for, all down to experience when I queried it. My PGCE and teaching experience (albeit 4 months) seem to count for nothing. Does anyone have any suggestions as to which direction I should go? I'm at a loss and the pressure to find a job that 'matches' teaching is intensifying.