1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT, can't get a job!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by studentfairy, May 24, 2019.

1. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

maybe some schools would do it. I would normally expect the vacancy to be readvertised.

Anyway, you would be unlikely to know if you were the only option.

2. year1109

year1109 New commenter

I am glad I stumbled across this thread: I am in exactly the same position and yet to have a NQT job for September. It’s worrying me greatly but I suppose the situation is out of my hands. Best of luck to you!

3. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

As a HT, I prefer a governor to be part of the formal interview, but it's not always possible. And definitely not required.
    I am still advertising for a post... only one application so far!

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Still six weeks left and schools are hammering me with requests for any teachers I have left. So there are plenty of jobs.
    However, the plum jobs in quality schools in areas where people want to work are not the schools hammering me for teachers. I always say the best time to look for a job is when you’ve got a job. So going for a school that might not be in the greatest area or building, but who will really support you and develop you because they struggle to recruit is a good post to have and from which to look for the dream job.

agathamorse likes this.
  5. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

What sort of reason are you talking about?

6. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

I know for a fact that I was the only applicant.

7. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

how do you know?

8. PersianCatLady

They told me

9. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

they might not be telling the truth. Or they might not be allowed to appoint if there is only one applicant. They might have to wait until there are other applicants

10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

If only that were true!

11. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Now I have to be straight, it depends what region you are in. Some schools contact me direct, some have given up and give the job to an agency who approaches me with a permanent job.
    If you are in the North West, well then that’s a different game.

agathamorse likes this.
  12. PersianCatLady

I am on the South Coast.

13. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I am in NW London.

@PersianCatLady. I have a former colleague, who lives on the north Kent coast, and he is getting nothing.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Is North West a difficult area to find NQT jobs?

15. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

North west London isn’t hard. North west England on the other hand is not so good. Edge Hill pumps out teachers by the thousands and since Gove's reforms fewer teachers move to where the jobs are which means a surfeit of teachers are produced in the north west compared to elsewhere. Well done Gove. Completely not understanding what you were smashing up to reform. The current teaching crisis is directly down to all of Gove's reforms.

agathamorse likes this.