1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT, can't get a job!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by studentfairy, May 24, 2019.

1. studentfairy

studentfairy New commenter

I've submitted 19 applications over the last few months and have been offered 6 interviews, of which I've attended 4. And I'm just not getting anywhere! I smashed the lesson observation for my dream school yesterday, and thought I'd done quite well in the formal interview, but didn't get it. The feedback was that I should 'think positively' because my lesson was excellent, it was just my interview that let me down. I'm quite awkward, shy and anxious so my interview skills aren't great. I've signed myself up to my university's career service to do a mock interview, but not sure what else I can do. I always prep my interview answers well, but struggle to remember them once I'm actually in the seat and there's 5 people staring at me! I get extremely nervous and thought it would get easier the more interviews I did, but it's becoming very clear to me that answering interview questions is not a skill of mine!

Is anyone else in the same boat? Feel like time's running out and I'm getting nowhere.

kayley_j_marsden likes this.
  2. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

Hi, don't worry and try not to be discouraged. Also, don't compare yourself to others you've trained with. Those schools just were not right for you. Most people get nervous in interviews so they should see beyond this.

Have you thought about joining agencies? This is an option to visit lots of schools and see what you'd prefer and gain confidence across year groups. Chances are you could be visited by SLT who might approach you for a permanent role.

Or update your TES and Linkd profile - schools which still have vacancies will be on the lookout.

Ultimately don't panic or you could choose the wrong school. Good luck.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. studentteacha

studentteacha New commenter

I am in the same boat!! It feels like these schools don't cut you any slack when you're an NQT :( I've been rejected by 3 so far. It's hard when everyone around me is getting a job.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. studentfairy

Thank you. Honestly, almost all my friends have got jobs now. The school I interviewed at yesterday was perfect and I'm so confused why they didn't want me - the Head said my lesson was the best they'd seen but other were stronger at the formal interview ... I don't even think I was that bad! It's really hard not feel completely useless and rubbish.

I've never been keen on the idea of agencies I must say, I've always preferred to search for jobs myself.

Honestly, I'll take anywhere at this point. I've been looking applying for jobs since February and I was picky then, now I'll just go anywhere that will take me!

pepper5 likes this.
  5. studentfairy

Aahh isn't it awful? The competition is so tough... I don't know how I will ever be the 'best', there's always someone better than me!

6. MsOnline

MsOnline New commenter

You are welcome. I wish I knew how to send you a direct message, or maybe I haven't been posting long enough to do that. If you know how - feel free to message me.

Why do you shy away from agencies? Honestly, agencies will do the work for you - especially at this time of the year. Please do not just 'take anywhere'. You will spend most of your hours at school - your class could be like a 2nd home so make a considered choice. If you do chose to supply it is not a bad thing at all and (for some) a great way of gaining confidence.

Also, as mentioned there is no point comparing yourself to your friends - everyone's journey is different. People can get snapped up and have a miserable time but those who find the right fit will have more chance of a much happier time.

toyin20121 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Definitely do not "take anywhere" since you will hate it if you get into a badly managed school. Take MsOnline's sound advice above.

You will get a job. You just have to keep going.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

You haven't even reached the NQT hiring season yet, which happens after all the half term resignations have gone in. You have had 4 interviews, that s nothing. Apply more, get interviewed more. i hate being interviewed, and generally know I will mess up the first 6-10, then I get bored and feel less nervous, then one or other will go right. I have never been without work for a single day.

9. studentteacha

studentteacha New commenter

So what happens after half the half term? I thought most schools would have filled all their posts by now?

pepper5 likes this.
  10. cornflake

cornflake Established commenter

I know it's hard, but definitely don't worry yet.
    I secured my first post in the August (after qualifying), and am now a Head.
    I'm advertising 2 posts currently.. so they are both likely to go to NQTs because experienced teachers now can't resign for a September start.

11. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

Half term is the dead line for teachers in post to resign for the end of August. Meaning most jobs are advertised AFTER half term, and no teacher in post can apply for them, basically.

12. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I can assure you there's many NQTs and experienced teachers who've shared the same frustrations re getting an actual post.

I remember someone who got hers on her 19th interview. So one can imagine how many applications that may have involved.

There are all sorts of reasons why some people just don't 'click' with the interviewing panel and sometimes 'feedback' is just something to say which isn't likely to 'make waves'. We've even had people being told '"You were too enthusiastic" followed by the next interview "You were too quiet."

Just keep plugging on, as others have said after half-term any posts caused by people getting jobs in the run up to half-term will have just now be handing in their notice and only teacher not currently 'in post' or NQTs will be available to apply.

toyin20121, JL48, agathamorse and 2 others like this.
  13. studentfairy

Thank you so much for all the kind words and advice. The reassurance really means a lot, it's all I wanted. After chilling out this weekend, I'm feeling ready to start preparing my next round of applications. :)

agathamorse, pepper5 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well done. :D I usually found that after a few days, I was ready to consider applying again after one has got over the disappointment.

agathamorse, studentfairy and pepper5 like this.
  15. molly-pearce

molly-pearce New commenter

A little late to the party here and feel like I’m going to state the obvious but breatheeeee. I am a current nqt and have started my nqt a term later than the norm for the exact reasons you have said! It’s so stressful and so easy to say don’t worry about it, all I did was worry... and cry! So I truely understand the feeling! The job I secured was interview number 11 - it got to the point where I wasn’t even getting feedback, it was less what I was doing wrong and more about what others had done/ not being the right fit for the school. I spent the autumn term with an agency when I hadn’t secured a job which wasn’t the plan but my point is there are options, there are ways around it you won’t just become unemployed. it only made me far more determined as I only had one interview once starting on supply and that was the one I got! Mentioning that I had supply isn’t intended to dishearten you more either, in my subject jobs were also more limitted than that of others but my point is it will happen!

studentfairy and agathamorse like this.
  16. I am in a similar boat. I secured a post during my PGCE, but left after one and a half terms and went on supply. Since then, I have only got to interview twice and didn't get either job. It is tough, and can be discouraging at times. Believe that you are a good teacher, and that the right job is waiting for you. Be selective in your applications- it hurts more when you really thought you were the perfect candidate, but it also reduces the stress of applying for jobs you don't really want. I've been on supply a little over a year and have had maybe 8 days without work in all that time, three of which were at my request. You'll get work- make sure it is the right work.

toyin20121 likes this.
  17. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

What about if you are repeatedly the only candidate for an NQT post in a shortage subject and you are told that your lesson was great and your interview was great.

But you are given a nonsensical reason for not getting the job??

18. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

then it would probably be impossible to appoint you. s a governor, we wold forbid an appointment being made if there was only one applicant.

19. varcolac

varcolac Occasional commenter

Not necessarily. Depends on the school's recruitment policy. I know of quite a few people who've been offered a job as the only candidate.

20. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

I know many people who have been the only applicant for a job at a school and been appointed.

Should there always be a Governor at an interview for a teacher?