1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT- Can you work as a cover supervisor/PPA cover without induction?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by theluckycat, Nov 2, 2015.

1. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

Is it possible for an NQT to work as a cover supervisor or as a teacher offering PPA cover without having done induction? I was wondering if this involved the 5 year supply rule or not.

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

To serve an induction you need a full teaching role in order for you to be assessed against the teaching standards- so you need to plan assess and deliver. In addition you need regular teaching, a reduced timetable, a contract of at least a term and a mentor to support. Some NQTs have used cover work but only with additional work to fill in the missing bits.
    My general advice is that most cover posts are not suitable for induction-.
    Yes any non induction teaching does come under the 5 year rule.

3. theluckycat

theluckycat Occasional commenter

Thanks Welshwizard.
    I am in need of some careers advice since I undertook teacher training last year, however have at presently 'suspended' due to my child unfortunately having been diagnosed with special needs whilst training. At present I am of course putting his needs first. I have a final 6 week placement remaining in order to gain QTS, which I am keen to do. Given the demands of the NQT year I wasn't keen to undertake induction yet until my child is older and hopefully requires less support. I was hoping that the QTS qualification would be valuable, perhaps to be employed on a higher payscale as a PPA than as a teaching assistant which is what I'm doing now. I am slightly in limbo, however want to know if doing the 6 week placement is worthwhile, or if it doesn't really mean much without having also completed induction.

Look forward to hearing from you.

4. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

I'm a Cover Supervisor with no teaching experience, I don't see why they wouldn't take you on for it, although you're not really "teaching" - you deliver pre-planned lessons.

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If the school have PPA or cover supervisors on a teaching assistant or administrative scale then QTS has no direct bearing. In fact some schools may not consider you for those roles once you have gained it.
    With QTS you can work as a supply teacher on day to day teaching for up to 5 years without starting the induction. You would be paid as a qualified teacher.
    Induction is only relevant to maintained schools teachers-- in academies, free schools and independents teachers are not required to complete it.
    You really need to decide whether you want to remain as an assistant/support level or be a teacher . You need to be clear as I don't expect that the 6 week placement will be available to complete your qualification for an indefinite period!

6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I have known of primary teachers undertake induction whilst doing the PPA role - as a qualified teacher (who plans and delivers all timetabled lessons) NOT cover superviser. It's tricky, particularly as you may not teach all curriculum subjects but if handled well by the NQT mentor it can be done.

I would say 'do the six week placement' as this will enable you to gain QTS and undertake supply teaching work - at a much better daily rate than an unqualified cover superviser would get. You can work as and when is convenient for you and it might open some doors to enable you to undertake induction at a later date.