1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT but teaching for nearly five years... what should I be paid?

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by anon3150, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Quick background summary - I've been qualified for four and a half years. Taught in the UK for one year. Overseas for two years. Back in the UK for one and a half years. I've completed two terms of my NQT year. The rest has been supply. I haven't had any breaks.
    My question is, I've got a job starting in Easter and I know I'll automatically be placed on M1 because I'm an NQT. However some teacher friends are saying I should ask for a bit more because of my experience. It had never crossed my mind before but friends very insistent that I should be paid more. Can I ask? And if yes who do I ask?
    Thanks.

2. Extra info -
    I was on £28,000 overseas.
    As a supply I've been paid £110 a day.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Neither bit of information is terribly relevant. You might want to argue that your overseas teaching experience means you're worth more than another NQT, but you're unlikely to be able to use exactly how much you were on overseas to lever a starting salary above that.
    You talk to the head about it, obviously.

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

M1 is not the automatic pay point for you if any of your previous UK teaching was via an LA.
    If you have been LA employed int he past, you need to look at the last school year when you have received pay on the Teachers' Payscale. If you were employed in at elast 26 separate weeks (p/t or f/t) in that school year, you will be paid on the next M point for your next post paid by an LA.
    Contracted teachers count all weeks employed, even those on sick leave and on school holidays and daily paid LA supply teachers count just the calendar weeks when they spent a day or more in a school.
    The time to negotiate any discretionary pay points is when you are offered the job. As you've already accepted without any negotiation, you have probably missed the boat on that one. You could contact LA salaries and ask if they automatically credit relevant experience. Lancashire, for instance, used to do so and gave me discretionary points for my Social Services work nad my childminding. That was over 10 years ago, though, and I don't know if they still do so.

5. Thanks, no, all supply work was via an agency.
    I felt a bit uncomfortable asking the Head directly, expecially at interview. I'll get in touch with LA salaries directly and see what they say.