1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT, but contract states MPS 2

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by zippycfb, Feb 23, 2012.

1. zippycfb

zippycfb New commenter

Started my NQT year on 30th January, it's a maternity cover post for up to a year. Salary wasn't mentioned at the interview and school were obviously aware I was an NQT when I accepted post. I just presumed I would start on the first point of the MPS and was happy to do this. Contract has arrived through the door today and states I will be paid at spinal point 2. What should I do? Is this a mistake? Don't want to be in a situation where I have to pay money back so who should I clarify the issue with?

2. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I would check with them. If it is a mistake, it is better to get it sorted out now before you are overpaid. However, they may start you on MP2. My friend was started on this point as a NQT last September as they decided she was worth it!!

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Do query it, because if it's an error they will eventually realise it and might just grab back the overpayment in one, bank account-draining fell swoop.

4. Which would be illegal. There is plenty of case law and tribunal judgements to the effect that overpayments cannot just be taken back. If they have made a mistake then theyre entitled to take the money back but have to agree a schedule with you. If you think that you are going to like working there (and if you dont why are you?) and there may be a possibility of extenion or permanency, then i would check. But it may not be a mistake - your nqt status does not fix your salary and i know of nqts appointed at point 3 or above in the last few years. Technically if you both sign the contract and they have not previously agreed mps1 with you, then they are stuck - making an error in a contract does not invalidate it! Their only redress would be to claim the terms of the contract were blatantly and substantially in error (ie the proverbial man on the Clapham omnibus would realise that it is wrong) and i dont think they could prove this here.