1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Blog for anyone struggling or who has advice

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by rgrayTT, Feb 9, 2020.

1. rgrayTT

rgrayTT New commenter

VeronicAmb likes this.
  2. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I wrote on and off for the years following, until I started my PGCE and I have barely written anything that wasn’t a model paragraph for a lesson since. This is why I am looking into an MA in Creative Writing. Now, you may argue that you don’t NEED an MA to be a writer, and you’d be right: but this course would force me back into a skill that I seriously need to practice more...

Creative writing - that just about summed up my departmental development plans and with all the other documents I had to churn out I did get plenty of practice.

3. rgrayTT

rgrayTT New commenter

That sort of writing is definitely not my forte! I don't envy you for that.

Shedman likes this.
  4. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

A great read.

It's a shame you're thinking of leaving. I always enjoyed working with English teachers in which CW made up their degree or some part of it. I think teaching English has a ton of creative elements, especially at KS3 and KS4 Language.

It's too bad you weren't born 10 years earlier or something. The controlled assessments were awful but at least it required an assessment for creative writing as in, storytelling not "writing to inform, persuade", etc.

Just because you're at a "Pass" now, doesn't mean you'll forever stay that way. To me, it sounds like you have that eagerness to improve and I think that's the sort of passion that you need to become a better and confident teacher. I won't say stick to teaching. But maybe you're right - it's just about having that energy and motivation and sometimes, your body refuses to give you both.

All the best in your journey - whatever you do.

rgrayTT likes this.
  5. BreakEven

BreakEven New commenter

Great blog post by the way - enjoyed reading it.

rgrayTT likes this.
  6. rgrayTT

rgrayTT New commenter

Thank you so much!

7. rgrayTT

rgrayTT New commenter

Thank you so much!
    Yeah, I really enjoyed the creative writing I did in my own GCSEs 10-11 years ago; I still remember doing a particular scathing review of the film 'The Village' and loving laying into it!
    I get what you're saying, and thank you for saying it: I have had a real passion to improve for most of my quite short teaching journey so far. However, it's now been 6 weeks of this new year and I've had only a handful of days when I've felt my resilience working. I pride myself on my resilience, so this has been a bit of a red flag against the profession.
    I might still change my mind and now be able to do anything else because I want to teach, but so far there's been no such change.

8. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I miss that element of English GCSE too.

I understand. Teaching isnt for everyone or it just may be the wrong time. But some years are worse than others. I think that's just the nature of the profession.

But I dont blame you for wanting to pack it in. I did the same a couple of years ago after 16 years. As long as you find happiness somewhere.

rgrayTT likes this.
  9. rgrayTT

rgrayTT New commenter