1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT being pushed into resigning... :(

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Butterflywonder, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Butterflywonder

Butterflywonder New commenter

Initially I really enjoyed working at my school despite the heavy workload, challenging behaviour and the daily grind to achieve unrealistic targets. After only a few months of working endlessly with no week-ends and social life, my health began to suffer tremendously and finally I was now seeing the culture of fear that existed within the building. As a result of working ridiculous hours, I didn't do too bad for my first two terms which the school passed and graded me good from lesson observations. Before I could fully start my third term, I collapsed under the pressure and went on sick leave. My GP has been signing me off for the past 2 months with depression and anxiety.:(

Last month I got a call from the Head, who said I should start looking for another school as they will not give me an extension for the time I've been absent due to ill health. The Head went on to mention, I will fail my NQT if I do not resign with immediate effect before November. This has all come as a surprise to me as prior to this, there was never any concerns raised about my performance and as far as I am aware things were going well until I got ill. :(

I am confused and not entirely sure what to do. Do I stay signed off and risk failing my NQT and dismissal? Even if I go back, I don't think the school will give me a fair chance so should I just resign? Can I fail my NQT for ill health that easily?Do I have any entitlement?

I have been in touch with my union rep who seems to waffle quite a lot, isn't very helpful and is of the opinion that the school wants to get rid of me and I should resign immediately.

Any advice/help would be very gladly accepted.:(

2. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

I may have misunderstood, but it does sound as if you have spoken to your school union rep. If this is the case then you need to contact the regional rep urgently, their contact details should have been sent to you when you joined or go to the union website.

FolkFan likes this.
  3. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Absolutely - get Union advice from local/regional office ASAP

4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

From the DfE Induction of Newly Qualified Teachers (England) (revised September 2015):

Page 23

Extending an induction period to account for ad hoc absences

3.6 The induction period is automatically extended prior to completion when an NQT’s absences during the period total 30 days or more (with the exception of statutory maternity leave (see para 3.7). In these circumstances the induction period must be extended by the aggregate total of days absent. If the NQT is unable to serve the extension in the same school/institution, the minimum period of employment of one term or equivalent must be served in a new school/institution.

In addition to contacting the union you could contact the induction adviser at your local authority - again you should have been given contact details by your induction tutor, but should be able to find them on the LA website.

Can you just clarify when you actually started at the school? Your post seems to suggest you started the induction year at some point during the academic year 2014/15.

5. Butterflywonder

Sorry, it's actually the regional rep I meant.

6. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

If you are not happy with what you're being told by them (and you may need to be assertive to make sure he/she takes you seriously), look to go 'up the hierarchy' or even look at the Union's complaints procedure.

7. Butterflywonder

Thanks for your advice, I'll definitely go up the hierarchy.

8. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

If you definitely want to stay in teaching, if you can afford it, you may be better off having a Dunkirk moment in your life and resigning!

If you really need the money and frankly don't care whether you pass your NQT then hang on as there will be procedures the school have to go through before they can 'get rid'

Either way, don't go back to work until you have recovered! health is more important than a job.

9. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@Butterflywonder AND contact the induction adviser at your LA.

Did you read the extract from the Induction regulations that I posted #4?

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

EXcellent advice from @snowyhead there, thank you.

Best wishes