1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Behaviour Issues

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by HobanWashburne, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Yeah. It's so professional isn't it.
    Let's see, considerable variation in schools, considerable variation in classes within a given school but the NQT doesn't get to pick the class to be observed on. Brilliant!
    Personally I would specify that the NQT and those on PCGE could specify the classes to be observed in, with a weeks notice ofc. At the very least.
    The beauty of this approach is that your asking the student/NQT to deliver their best, which is really what your interested in seeing. How someone handles themselve under 'tough' conditions does really equate with the NVQ type qualification.
    Saying to someone, 'Ok show us your best' is actually a very tough assignment and more importantly a far better assessed of the final product.
    Current system is a bit of a lucky dip as quite a few NQT posts pretty much indicate. Grossly unfair sometimes.
    BTW: I wasn't really trying to say 'interesting lessons = good behaviour'. Things just are not that simple. Really aside for stictly following the schools misbehavioural system you don't have much else to work on. And as said kiddies are far smarter than their age suggests, they have seen the whole gauntlet of teaching practises and observed far more lesson than any young teachers and probably know the best counters. They know how to amuse themselves if that is the situation.
    Mr L seems to have summed things up very well.
    Just don't take the misbehaviour personally.

2. Worth suggesting that badly behaved children don't see subjects in anything like as defined a way as teachers/educators do. For such kids the behaviour of the teacher maybe far more interesting than the subject. Sad but true!

3. sakurasensei

sakurasensei New commenter

Any suggestions for me then, an NQT whose entire timetable is made up of bottom sets... the behaviour displayed by my students is appalling. I'm keeping the description mild here as I'd be writing from here to eternity if I went into all the details. I have spent the last 6 months of my probabtion fretting, working, trying to be optimistic, encouraging - using every behaviour management strategy I possibly can - reward schemes - none of which make any impact on these horrendous people in their seats (sometimes) in front of me. After returning last week I can only say I have no hope for the pupils in my class. I have burnt myself out trying to make a positive impact with no change. These pupils behave like this for teachers throughout the school... but I feel my probation year so far has been an utter waste of time in terms of teaching as I all I seem to do is try to control them. I have had very very little opportunity to actually 'teach'.
    If anyone has any suggestions as to simply now survive the rest of the year I'd appreciate it. The problems are further compounded by the fact that I am based in a different classroom EVERY teaching period and my classes are on a job share timetable with a supply teacher. These pupils have not had one teacher for more than six months ... so unbelievably unsettled.

I know I sound extremely negative but I love teaching I just have had zero opportunities to do it this year.... If I had wanted the kind of job I'm doing at the moment I would have applied for work as a prison warden.

If anyone has any words of encouragement for a for a good teacher whose spark has well and truly been doused by negative after negative experience please please type them in...
    Cheers