1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT at an independent school?

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by rtbailey, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Hello, I'm a PGCE student currently in the middle of the confusion and panic that is job applications! I've applied to several pools, and now just waiting. However, I've still been keeping an eye open for any potential jobs, looking at the TES job section etc, and I've noticed that quite a few independent schools are advertising roles open to NQTs.

I'd just like to ask anybody out there who is currently an NQT at an independent school, what kind of experience have you had so far? Especially compared to any friends of yours who may have done their NQT year at a state school? Why did you decide to do your induction at an independent school?

I'd be really interested to hear both positive and/or negative comments!

Thank you! :)

2. Hi there! I'm an NQT at an Independent school.
    My experience has been really positive. I applied through an agency, went for a look around and fell for the school- it's wonderful. Small classes are a real bonus, to the pupils and to the teachers. I imagine it does depend to a large extent on the school you go for, but my experience has been so good (with lovely staff, pupils and parents). Expectations will always be high at an Independent and individual pupils will generally be given more attention. Teachers seem to get on well if they're eccentric!
    Obviously only go for a school where you feel comfortable and happy. First impressions are quite a good measure. IsTip is the organisation that'll get your NQT status organised and they run really helpful conferences. Make sure your mentor is supportive and 'on the same page' as you, that's essential.
    For the sake of comparison, my friends in state schools get very jealous when I talk about my job. Obviously there are disadvantages as well as advantages, but I can't see myself returning to a Grammar/ Comprehensive.
    I hope that helps!

3. Induction can be carried out in a private schools, though they are not obliged to offfer it. o check that they will offer induction, once completed it is acceptaed for unrestricted work in the state system.
    James