1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

    If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

    Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

    Dismiss Notice

NQT at a school which offers no support!

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by fantastischfish, Jan 9, 2011.

  1. fantastischfish

    fantastischfish Established commenter

    Do you have a reduced timetable? This should be 10% PPA time like everyone else, plus and further 10% for NQT time (can be used for observation, training or just geting on with your own work.
    If you do not have a mentor, contact your LA and tell them. There is someone at the LA who is responsible for NQTs. A mentor is a legal requirement for NQTs. Have you had observations and all the necessary paperwork completed?
    Perhaps try contacting your union for advice on how to proceed.
  2. Hi
    If a school employs a NQT then they have a statutory obligation to provide a mentor, support and reduced timetable. This is not optional.
    My advice would be for you to read carefully the NQT guidasnce and establish what support you are getting against what you should be getting. First you should have been able to raise this with your mentor - as you haven't got one, then it would have to be with the head or a member of the SLT. If there is no change in the situation, you can approach the local authority and speak to the person in charge of NQTs and they could intervene on your behalf, also you can talk to your union for help and advice and they may also be able to intervene and change the current situation.
    If the LA or the school feel that you are not making sufficient progress then you would have a right of appeal against such a decision given the lack of support and challenges faced - this could cause problems for the school given they have a legal obligation to meet the requirements for NQTs.
    The full guidance can be found here: http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=12703
  3. You should really kick up a fuss. Get in touch with your union as soon as.

Share This Page