1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT assessment negative out of nowhere

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by lidders_09, Apr 2, 2019.

1. lidders_09

lidders_09 New commenter

Hey,

I’m just wondering what happens to the NQT assessments online? Do schools you apply to view them, or are they simply a lead up to a pass/fail?

I ask because up until my recent NQT assessment I’ve heard really positive things about my practice. Suddenly out of the blue I have a couple of incredibly negatives comments on my assessment. No discussion with me beforehand and yet I am still graded an ‘A’ overall.

The way they are worded is just horrible and I’m weighing up whether to fight it or not bother.
    I know that if I say something I may end up having a very tough time be rest of the year.

Thanks

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I suspect to get a rounded informed opinion you need to define ' horrible '

3. lidders_09

lidders_09 New commenter

“? is always open to feedback but sometimes has difficulty responding to any advice given to improve her teaching practice.”

I’m unsure where this has come from because I’ve never been told there is a target I’ve been given that I haven’t worked on or am not meeting. I’ve had one target repeated which I met this term.
    In regards to lesson observations I’ve had 4, 3 of them were really positive and I had lots of great feedback. 1 of them was at the beginning of the autumn term which was not my best lesson by far! But we all have off days!

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

If you complete the entire NQT year at this school then no one will ever see these comments, so don't worry.

If you feel this is out of the blue ask your mentor to clarify. What they've written could be interpreted to mean different things - they could mean attitude, or reluctance, or they could mean you need more guidance sometimes. They are perhaps just trying to be honest, rather than nasty. But if it bothers you then calmly ask about it.

You should have the opportunity to add your own comments every term. Do not argue with what they've said in these comments, but you could simply mention some of the successes you've had that term, and give an example of a time you have taken on board feedback (what you did etc.) to show that you are trying to do this.

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Agree that the feedback is vague so I suspect it would be helpful if the ‘ difficulty responding ‘ is backed up with examples / justified / guidance as how to tackle ? Would make sense to me ...