1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Assessment Form. Help needed!!!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by JaneAusten2015, Dec 17, 2015.

1. JaneAusten2015

JaneAusten2015 New commenter

Hi all

I've had a very difficult first term as an NQT at a school where I worked prior to qualifying. This has been made more complex by personal circumstances. Since then, I do not feel I have had adequate NQT support, especially given the circumstances.

I have been given my assessment form this evening and I have been asked to sign it for tomorrow morning. My target page has at least 14 targets/areas for development. I was under the impression we were only supposed to be given 3 targets for the next term.

Alongside the report I've also been given an 'Action Plan' with 10 action points on that must be completed next term. Some points have specific dates for completion, many for January.

I am not comfortable signing something I don't agree to, but I'm in a very difficult situation as it is and not sure what I should do. I have to sign this by tomorrow, please help!

Thank you

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Im an NQT mentor and would never give more than 3-4 targets because you can't possibly work on so many things at once. Also, you shouldn't have an 'action' plan, you should have a support plan that details what support the school is providing you with to help you make progress towards the teaching standards.

3. sofia_sen

sofia_sen Occasional commenter

I am an NQT and I would ask my mentor why there are so many targets. Well, I probably wouldn't have to ask because we fill in the form together and discuss it. Not sure if every borough has the same format but mine I have to specifically declare that the targets were discussed.
    My next step would be to go to whoever is responsible for NQTs in your borough.
    I have 3 targets to work on that will be evaluated by the end of spring 1.

I would not sign it if I were uncomfortable with it.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

I assume that the form indicates that you are not making satisfactory progress- there is a tick box on the front page.- the action plan confirms that you need to improve in the areas identified.There is also a box on the form for you to add your comments before signing so you can raise concerns via this.
    The number of targets does seem excessive however there is no prescribed set number or limit and the argument would be that it depends upon the NQT. All of this should have been discussed and reviewed with you beforehand.
    Do use the named contact in the Appropriate Body who you can ask for further help and support