1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - asking for reference

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Shadow0503, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Shadow0503

Shadow0503 New commenter

Hi, not sure if this is in the right place. I started my NQT year in September at the same school I did my PGCE with. I was informed at the end of my PGCE before starting my NQT year that it was unlikely I would be employed permanently following completion of my NQT due to funding. It hasn't been mentioned since but my future at the school hasn't been mentioned either.

I have had a lot of issues at the school and was advised by my university tutor to see my NQT year through but start looking for jobs and get out of the school and find somewhere near home asap. I currently live nearly 2 hours away from my teaching school. I have seen some jobs I would like to apply for and some which are teaching roles but not in schools others are teaching roles. I know I will need to ask my school for a reference, but how do I do this and what circumstance can I use for asking for one? I know my mentor will ask why I need one now when I haven't finished my NQT year.

Any advise would be fab!

2. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

This is the time of year when jobs for September may start to appear, perfectly normal to ask for a reference.

galerider123 and Weald56 like this.
  3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It is not uncommon for people to change school, and you seem to have a very good reason for wanting to move - you need a permanent job. If your current school is a long journey, then moving to a job nearer home is also a reason. Simply tell your Head that you are applying for other jobs, giving as much information as you feel comfortable with, and politely ask for permission to attend any interviews that come up. Good luck. By the way, I am assuming that you are looking for a start after the Easter holiday - as @Flanks points out, it looks normal if you are looking for a September start date as you don't have a job for then. And, assuming Burgundy Book or similar emplyment terms, you can't leave before Easter without special permission.

4. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

If you live two hours from the school and they don’t expect to continue hiring you then you’ve no worries on the reference side.

To be honest, each school is different. Most schools that I deal with ask for a reference around 24-48 hours before the interview. As a PGCE course we bust a gut to get it in. The schools tell us they usually get the PG refererence on time and the school one after the interview. Schools generally make their own mind up about hiring and the 'subject to referencss' rule is about ensuring they are covered for any unexpected issues related to child protection that might be referred to.

As a PG tutor I have a stack of schools and agencies with a direct line to me for vacancies. I would go back to your PG tutor and ask to be put in touch with some. Sure, agencies are ruthless, but they can find you a permanent role much more easily than you think.

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As others have pointed out, no need to worry about moving on and asking for references. Just ask politely and stress how grateful you are for opportunities you've had at the school.

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Just say something like "I'm starting to look for posts for September, so is it ok to give your name as a referee?" As far as your head is concerned, they know you need to give them as a referee, so it's just being polite to ask. Using your mentor as a second referee is fine, or use your university tutor if you think that one will be better.

FrankWolley and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  7. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Given the fact you are only on a temporary placement, they should be understanding that you are seeking a permanent role. Speak with your HT and NQT mentor and ask for a reference. They have no reason not to give you one- just approach the situation professionally and don’t burn any bridges in the process.

8. Shadow0503

Shadow0503 New commenter

Thanks everyone for your advice!

They aren't very understanding and I do get mixed messages from them regarding my future. Hence the reason I'm asking for some guidance.

I feel terrible asking because they aren't very understanding at times. But my contract is temporary until Summer only getting me through my NQT year and I'm a single person paying a mortgage so I can't afford to be out of work.

9. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Therefore a very good reason for asking and making it clear. Say how you'd love to stay, but obviously with commitments you do need to have a post in position to enable you to pay your bills and with 'job'hunting season' coming this next term uou will need to start applying for permanent posiions.

10. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Post #9 nails it. Any HT worth their salt will expect you to be looking for a job at this time of year.

11. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Why do you get mixed messages? I’m confused here- you are a trainee teacher on placement surely the school will encourage you to apply for a permanent teaching role unless they feel that the job isn’t for you and that you haven’t progressed enough through your training. The school should be understanding. When your placement comes to an end, what do they expect you to do if they can’t offer you employment themselves.

wanet likes this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I don't think the OP is a trainee on placement.
    I think they are an NQT on a one year contract, though it might be a good idea for them to check what the contract actually says as to temporary or permanent.
    The OP doesn't want to stay, so is looking elsewhere for September.
    Not a dilemma exactly, but can be tricky for an NQT not having the very best of times.

zwatts and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  13. Shadow0503

Shadow0503 New commenter

Hi, I am an NQT on a one year contract. But I completed my PGCE working at the school through the Teach First Programme, so I worked in the school from day one.