1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Asking for Reference to Teach Abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by PhuMyHung, Oct 22, 2019.

1. PhuMyHung

PhuMyHung New commenter

Hi all,

I'm currently doing my NQT year in Scotland with the aim to teach abroad in 2020-21. I'm noticing several jobs coming up that I'd like to apply for but, as an NQT, I feel that it is too early in the year to be asking my HOD or head teacher for a reference. I have references from previous placement schools during teacher training but I imagine most international schools will want one from my current post.

Any advice on how best to navigate this?

Thanks

2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I'm assuming you're on your probation year (I trained in Scotland too.)

As always, I would always suggest that you should complete your probation year then do at least 1 more year afterwards to get your head round the actual teaching side of things before moving abroad. Most countries do look for at least 2 years experience (your probation year will always count as you are full time in one school). Placement references won't count towards your experience because they are only short term and also might not actually reflect you as a teacher.

What schools don't always count is supply where you have jumped from one school to another - if you are lucky enough to get long term supply in a school (as I did) then it does count.

It's worth noting that some schools will accept you with those references and experience - but whether these are schools you would even want to consider working in is another question.....

3. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

Amysdad is spot on.

4. TheComputingTeacher

TheComputingTeacher New commenter

Do two years, before moving overseas. Many more opportunities will open up.

5. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Well, yes, of course it is sensible to get at least two years done and dusted in the UK before venturing into foreign parts. However, there are sometimes some very strong push and pull factors that cannot be ignored, so some young teachers may want to leave earlier. Hmm. On the whole, I would say, "Stay and do the two years." You should be able to get a better international job at the end of it. If you insist on jumping ship before that, then you will just have to bite the bullet and ask your present HOD and head for references. I cannot see a way around that one.

Some scummy and absolutely blooming awful international schools seem to make a habit of employing NQTs.