1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT applying to primary pools

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Bella82, Feb 18, 2011.

1. I started my NQT year in September 2010 in an awful school and left before the first assessment at the end of November. I received very little support and was told I may fail my induction if I carried on the next two terms.
    Needless to say I left and have been applying to various NQT pools. I hope to give my induction one final try in September 2011. I have an interview in early March.
    On my application form I have not included my last role as I think it will go against me. Is there any way headteachers can check my work history using my teacher reference number or any other method?

2. I started my NQT year in September 2010 in an awful school and left before the first assessment at the end of November. I received very little support and was told I may fail my induction if I carried on the next two terms.
    Needless to say I left and have been applying to various NQT pools. I hope to give my induction one final try in September 2011. I have an interview in early March.
    On my application form I have not included my last role as I think it will go against me. Is there any way headteachers can check my work history using my teacher reference number or any other method?

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If you do not declare a period of employment on your application form then this will result in dismissal and possible sanctions through the GTCE. Pension, Payroll and NI contributions will show that you have been employed. Further heads and teachers talk and you should be open and honest about why you left.
    You need to amend the application now before too much damage is done

4. I can't amend the application as I have already been shortlisted for interview in two weeks, is it worth me still going?
    It is very unlikely that the headteacher from my most recent school would know anyone as the schools I'm applying for are quite a distance from my previous school. They are also known for having an unusually high staff turnover.
    Do new employers always contact all previous employers to check dates etc?

5. If successful you would have to give your P45 from the job that you left. Surely that would catch you out straight away?
    My current school was in touch with my old school quite a lot between me leaving and joining them.

6. Maybe you could mention it at interview and if they ask why you didnt put it you could say that you wanted to explain the circumstances properly. They may already be aware of the school and the high turnover. The P45 is a good point. Its not worth getting caught out.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The issue will be picked up with Child protection checks you have to disclose all employers and also P45/tax etc.so at interview you need to come clean and fess up. Put a positive spin on it and emphasise what you now realise makes a good induction experience and the sort of school that will provide this.