1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT applying for TA position, how to make application strong?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by z_a_39, Jun 23, 2020.

1. z_a_39

z_a_39 New commenter

I passed my PGCE (social science) last year in 2019, and struggled to find a NQT job anywhere as I'm not a high-demand subject and competition is fierce for my subjects. Briefly doing a failed cover supervisor stint and going through a period of unemployment.

I eventually managed to find a job in an independent international school in January 2020 which I really enjoyed and was greatly paid (although did not count towards NQT year)...but lo and behold, because of the Covid-19 pandemic, my job is being killed off due to the business numbers being shot up.

So as of the end of August, I will be yet again without a job unless I can find something else by then. I am not keen on supply teaching as I do not want to live in uncertainty of whether or not I will be in a job and not knowing where it will be. Plus I share a car, so would rather get public transport so the car is freed up.

I have just recently thought to bite the bullet and get a TA job as the last thing I want to do is do cover supervisor (which is mental health suicide to me) or supply work (can't stand the uncertainty or lack of security). I just think that a TA job will be a cushy job until I do find a NQT job I like. As I just want a stable income and job. Since 2019, I have just been a bit sick that I haven't had that.

My question is: What do I say on a letter of application for a TA job, so that it isn't suspicious that I am applying for it? Like to make it clear that I really do want to work as a TA, and am not just using it as a stop-gap job, or anything? To make it a strong application.

Thanks very much

2. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

You do realise that TA jobs are low paid and not "cushy". You need to be honest and say why you do want the TA job.

3. z_a_39

z_a_39 New commenter

Some TA positions are £13-15k per year. Some are in the higher end of 17k+ which I would be comfortable with

4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

just make sure you are aware of the pro rata, ie what you are actually paid as advertised rates are for full time and because of the holidays no TA is full time.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

My advice: don't lie on your application. You are using it as a stop-gap job, which isn't something you need to point out in your application, but equally you shouldn't make a point of claiming that's not what you're doing. Just be honest and write about what you can bring to the role.