1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT applying for TA position, how to make application strong?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by z_a_39, Jun 23, 2020.

1. z_a_39

z_a_39 New commenter

I passed my PGCE (social science) last year in 2019, and struggled to find a NQT job anywhere as I'm not a high-demand subject and competition is fierce for my subjects. Briefly doing a failed cover supervisor stint and going through a period of unemployment.

I eventually managed to find a job in an independent international school in January 2020 which I really enjoyed and was greatly paid (although did not count towards NQT year)...but lo and behold, because of the Covid-19 pandemic, my job is being killed off due to the business numbers being shot up.

So as of the end of August, I will be yet again without a job unless I can find something else by then. I am not keen on supply teaching as I do not want to live in uncertainty of whether or not I will be in a job and not knowing where it will be. Plus I share a car, so would rather get public transport so the car is freed up.

I have just recently thought to bite the bullet and get a TA job as the last thing I want to do is do cover supervisor (which is mental health suicide to me) or supply work (can't stand the uncertainty or lack of security). I just think that a TA job will be a cushy job until I do find a NQT job I like. As I just want a stable income and job. Since 2019, I have just been a bit sick that I haven't had that.

My question is: What do I say on a letter of application for a TA job, so that it isn't suspicious that I am applying for it? Like to make it clear that I really do want to work as a TA, and am not just using it as a stop-gap job, or anything? To make it a strong application.

Thanks very much

2. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

Perhaps don't write anything in your application or even if you get an interview that being a TA is a "cushy" job.

That will make it a strong application.

3. z_a_39

z_a_39 New commenter

Excuse me?

4. marbles78

marbles78 New commenter

Seriously? This is the Teaching Assistants forum, where most of us are hard-working and dedicated to our jobs. I certainly do not consider my role "cushy." I'd say Stargirl's advice is spot-on!

stargirl81 likes this.
  5. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Seeing as though you are using it as a stop gap, this could be tricky!

If you do this, you are going to find it harder to find a teaching job I think. I would imagine many schools will bite your hand off, and will employ you as a TA and probably have you doing more than other TAs because you’ve done a PGCE, but if you apply for a teaching job they are going to wonder why you did a PGCE then went to be a TA.
    You’d be much better off doing supply for the experience.

6. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

I'm just saying that you are on the TA section of this website where there are alot of hardworking TA's.. Coming on to ask a question and saying its a cushy job probably will annoy people!

Anyway, as an nqt I reckon most schools will eager to have you, but also some schools might take advantage of your status and you could end up with practically a teachers job anyway. So be wary of that.
    You could just say you wanted to see what it was like to work in a school from a different perspective. Also if you only plan on doing this for a year then there are often temporary contracts anyway so they might not mind if it is just a stop gap anyway.. Have you seen any jobs you would like to apply for?

7. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Above posters are right - I don't think you'll have any trouble at all getting a TA post. Say something along the lines of this year being a very challenging one for everyone; how much you enjoyed your job at the international school and found it hard when you were made redundant. Having had the break, you now want to spend a year working in a school before embarking on your NQT year. Have a good look at the job description for any job you are applying for and tailor your application to it ... you'd like to gain experience of leading intervention groups, supporting pupils with SEND, etc.

Don't even think that a TA role will be an easy ride! Best of luck.