1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT applying for middle leader role

Discussion in 'Professional development' started by NMorris647, May 18, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I am coming to the end of my NQT year and I have applied for a middle leader role. It is called 'community, progress and achievement leader'. At my school we have vertical tutor groups in every tutor group and there are 5 tutor groups in each community. The role would involve me over seeing 2 communities so 10 tutor groups and mentor the students that are falling behind or not reaching their potential. I would also be expected to analyse data on FSM students and look at their achievement. Whilst mentoring students I would need to discuss their behaviour and achievement. I think this is similar to what the traditional 'head of year' would do.
    I will be entitled to a TLR, any ideas on what TLR i should expect to get, or ask for?
    Also most importantly any tips for the interview or ideas of what they may ask me?
    Many Thanks
    Nicola (stressed NQT)

2. Hi,
    I am coming to the end of my NQT year and I have applied for a middle leader role. It is called 'community, progress and achievement leader'. At my school we have vertical tutor groups in every tutor group and there are 5 tutor groups in each community. The role would involve me over seeing 2 communities so 10 tutor groups and mentor the students that are falling behind or not reaching their potential. I would also be expected to analyse data on FSM students and look at their achievement. Whilst mentoring students I would need to discuss their behaviour and achievement. I think this is similar to what the traditional 'head of year' would do.
    I will be entitled to a TLR, any ideas on what TLR i should expect to get, or ask for?
    Also most importantly any tips for the interview or ideas of what they may ask me?
    Many Thanks
    Nicola (stressed NQT)

3. I concur, curlygirly (although, of course what Nicola might not realise yet is that teachers in general are stressed a lot of the time!).
    I think the profession is doing itself a dis-service in many schools, where people are encouraged to be looking forward to the next step all the time. There are NQTs that I know and have known who are struggling to plan, teach and mark well, yet are doing extra-curricular activities all the time and being asked to think about their career progression.
    What's wrong with doing the job for a few years and doing it well!?

4. I think it depends on the individual. Some NQTs are ready for additional responsibility almost straight away - and there is nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. However, there is plenty to learn and sometimes experience counts for a lot! If you feel ready, my advice would be to go for it. Good luck![​IMG]

5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

if you are already stressed what is the point in adding to it?