1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT applying for Head fo Department positions

Discussion in 'Heads of department' started by hiron79, May 1, 2011.

1. I teach Geography so a one-man department is not an option unfortunately. Thanks for your feedback.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You are unlikely to have street cred with the other members of the department with so little experience of teaching. You will not even have taken an exam group through a whole course.
    So probably best not to apply, but hold your fire.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I did and got a HOD job at the school I am working at. Next year (4th year) I am starting a fixed term post as HOY in a different school. I was a middle school trainee and work in a closing middle school, so I do think this has helped. Perhaps it might be more competative in High School? What other responsibilities do you do that could help your application? I arranged school trips, helped at all sorts of occasions in schools, went on other teacher's trips, became a school governor, co-ordinated a subject at Key Stage 2 and ran booster lessons and clubs in my NQT year, (And still do!)