1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT applying for a Year 6 job

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by nmarge789, Oct 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nmarge789

nmarge789 New commenter

Hi I am an NQT and would like some advice. There is a position going at a school I have been working at through a supply agency and I feel I have built up a good relationship with the school and would like to go for the position. However the position is for year six. This doesn't put me off as I've worked frequently in this year group and feel Ihave a good relationship with the pupils. But I know that year six is a huge responsibility with SATs. Would I even be considered going for this position? Would I be in over myhead if I applied? Am I being far too ambitious? Any advice would begreatly appreciated as the deadlinefor this job is in a couple of weeks!Thanks! Natalie.

2. Northhead

Northhead New commenter

Yes you would be considered. Get online and study the new frameworks- I would expect any candidate to know about those.

Pomz likes this.
  3. LoopyLew

LoopyLew New commenter

Totally would be considered! Get your application in now! If you have a good relationship with the school then you have got a good start! We all gotta start somewhere, and although I'm in secondary, my first job had Y11 and Y13 examination classes in it. Please apply, you sound just a bit short on confidence... yes you ARE TOTALLY GOOD ENOUGH... if not perfect! Good luck, let us know how it goes!

4. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

Yes- apply for it. It’s good that the school knows you and that puts you in a great position already BUT that does not mean the job is yours! You will still need to go through the same application as every other applicant. You need to demonstrate why you are the best candidate for the role, now, you’re probably thinking that they will be other candidates that have more experience than you, yes, that might be correct but don’t use that as a negative- use it as a positive. You are a new teacher, you won’t have the ‘bad habits’ that other teachers who have been teaching years may have. My advice as above would be to apply for It and see how you get on! Good luck.