1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Application Dilemma

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by j_riley200493, Feb 14, 2020.

Tags:
  1. j_riley200493

j_riley200493 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm thinking of applying to the school I trained in to do my NQT year. I loved training there, and fit in well with the department etc, have a great rapport with the students etc. so it sounds like an ideal fit right?

Well, in the latter half of my training year I started developing some health issues and due to a bad interview ended up taking an NQT position at another school, which was way too much for me. My health issues massively flared over summer, and the school just wasn't the right fit for me at all so I left after two weeks- it wasn't fair on me or the students to have a teacher who couldn't commit to more than a couple of days a week because they're off sick all the time.

Flash forward a month to October, my health issues are mainly under control and I see a post at my training school. I apply but get no email back for an interview which upset me a little, but I could understand, I'd been out of work for a few months and left my last job through ill health- I wouldn't want to hire someone with that recent employment history.

Now it's February and they've posted another advert. My health is now fully under control (minus this flu I can't seem to shake) as I'm now taking medication for the IBS and anxiety I was suffering from and going to counselling for the latter. I've been doing some free online CPD courses to prove I'm not just sitting around doing nothing, and I've been working since January as a lab tech in another school. Does anybody have any application tips? I'm at a loss where to even begin, and writing applications is usually my strong suit!

2. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

If this is your name and your picture, get this deleted straight away. As to the application, just go for it, if you want to. If you don't hear anything back, and you know the school, follow up with an email politely asking for feedback.

j_riley200493 and Penguin47 like this.
  3. Penguin47

Penguin47 New commenter

I'd contact them via email and explain the situation; say you really enjoyed working at the school but, due to a period of ill health, wasn't able to perform to the best of your ability. Now that it has been resolved, you're ready to go, and ask if they'll consider the application.

j_riley200493 likes this.