1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - Anxiety/panic attacks

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by CharlMarie, Apr 12, 2018.

1. CharlMarie

CharlMarie New commenter

Hi all,

I am currently completing my NQT year and successfully passed my first term with flying colours but began suffering with anxiety and panic attacks in my second term and my induction period has now been extended by 1 term as I had more than 30 days absence in term 2. This now means that my 1st term is done and passed, my 2nd NQT term will be completed in term 3 of this academic year and my 3rd NQT term will be completed in term 1 of the next academic year.

My question is, if I decide to hand in my notice at the end of this academic year, so with (hopefully) 2 induction terms completed and passed and take a break from teaching to do another job related to education, can I return to teaching anytime and complete my 3rd NQT term or would I have to return within a set amount of time or would that simply be it for teaching?

I have not decided for definite yet whether this is what I intend to do but a job has come up which I would love to do beginning in the summer holidays and is contracted for 2 year - so I guess my question is, if I enjoy those 2 years but decide to get back in the classroom, could I return to teaching after a 2 year break to complete term 3 of my induction?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

2. exploration

exploration New commenter

I believe that since you’ve started, you have 5 years to complete it. But I would highly recommend that you finish it now. Otherwise it’ll be something always in the back of your mind and you’ll be starting in a new school again and the worry of what they’ll think of you, what the kids will be like, all the while trying to successfully pass. Stay, finish it, have a break. That’s what I did :) I almost left part way through the year but I am so glad I stuck it out. Now my options are far more open.

NotAPowerRanger likes this.
  3. CharlMarie

CharlMarie New commenter

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate the honesty and the information. As I said in my original post, I'm not set on leaving this year, I only considered it because a company has a job going and it's a company I have always wanted to work for and after the last term being a real struggle for my health I wondered what my options would be if I decided to leave.

Thanks again!

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

There is no time limit to completing an induction. The 5 years applies only to daily supply which does not count towards induction. If you leave summer with 2 terms then you will still have 1 term left to complete. My standard advice to NQTs is to complete induction then you have more options as you would not be looking just for an induction post to finish off.

5. observer1

observer1 New commenter

If you have another job lined up and teaching has come to the point it is affecting your health, leaving is certainly a better and healthier iption.

There is no shame or regret. No job is worth your mental health or having panic attacks over in my opinion.

Timetoshine likes this.
  6. themidlander

themidlander New commenter

I agree. You clearly aren't doing this on a whim. I did my final at a different place.

Timetoshine likes this.
  7. CharlMarie

CharlMarie New commenter

Thank you for your reply. I'm certainly weighing up the options and won't make this decision quickly!

8. CharlMarie

CharlMarie New commenter

Thank you for the support - it has come to that point unfortunately so I'm trying to decide if completing the year is more important or my health and I think I'm finally realising that my health should always be more important! Thanks for your advice x

9. CharlMarie

CharlMarie New commenter

Definitely not, I'm just trying to gather as much advice as possible to help me make my decision! I think I will apply for the other job and see if I am successful and if not, then I'll weigh up my options again x