1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT and trainee teachers

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by North12, Oct 26, 2015.

1. North12

North12 New commenter

I have a question - as an NQT can I give feedback on trainee lessons?

I was part time last year and am full time this year, so am still an NQT. There is a trainee in our department this term. Is it okay or not for her to take my lessons and me give feedback as technically I am not yet qualified and do not want to be down on hours.

thanks in advance.

2. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

It wouldn't be the norm, but I guess the bottom line would be that it's down to the circumstances and to the leadership team of your school, who will know you and your abilities. If they've got confidence in you, then take it as a compliment! I'd ask for some coaching from them on giving feedback first, though...

3. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

I can't see how a short placement with one class would affect NQT induction - at least I've never heard of it in mentoring circles. Putting together a training timetable across a department can be a logistical nightmare so it might be that it's the only way that works well without hitting other areas e.g. very challenging groups, Y11, split classes etc.

Key things to remember though are:
    1. You've been there recently so know what it's like
    2. You won't have to grade the lessons - that's not the point of ITT observations
    3. You're not formally observing every lesson
    4. It's formative feedback so a few good things and something to work on e.g. You're asking the same students for responses so you need to draw on other students more.
    5. You get a bit of extra time whilst the trainee is taking your class and there's no additional work for you as the mentor will do almost everything.
    I'd just run with it. It's not really going to negatively affect you or increase your workload.

4. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

As a trainee, I spent a few lessons with an NQT as we were teaching the same topic to different sides of a year group. It was incredibly useful to share with someone who is near enough to their own training days to remember exactly what you're going through. Very positive for them to pass on some nuggets of wisdom also :)

5. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

I was recently asked to observe a student for one lesson as a one-off and had this same worry too. However, I found that as an NQT it was actually quite helpful. I was able to remember how it felt being observed and everything they looked for etc and put it into practice. It also gave me the chance to see a new strategy that I had not yet tried.

I also had an NQT who was on supply observe me frequently during my second year training due to circumstances at the school. It's definitely okay, take it as good CPD/nqt evidence :)

6. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

If you have QTS then you are qualified to teach, you just haven't completed induction.

7. zuba102

zuba102 New commenter

I guess it's up to the school- my school won't let nqts observe trainees.