1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT and thinking of leaving teaching already!

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Katiemaze, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Katiemaze

Katiemaze New commenter

I suppose because at the interview they did mention the commute, so they knew it might become an issue. I feel like I'd be letting them (and the students) down. But I have to do what's right for me.

2. Katiemaze

Katiemaze New commenter

I've decided that's what I am going to do on my first day back after half term. I've been in touch with the prospective new employer and given my current employer as a reference, but asked if they can hold off contacting them until I've had a chance to tell them myself. Thanks for the advice everyone!

3. Katiemaze

Katiemaze New commenter

By the way Install, I am exhausted! Coming home late after being stuck in traffic and then prepping most evenings is not much fun.

Jolly_Roger15 and install like this.
  4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

They did at mine as well and I shrugged it off with 'oh it will be fine...not a problem.'
    No shame in going back to them a few months later with a 'Yeah, you know I said it was fine, well I was wrong. It isn't and I'm going to give this post a go, purely because of the commute. You don't have plans to relocate this college nearer my home do you?'
    Sat it with a smile. teachers all over the country are doing the same thing.

agathamorse, Piranha and install like this.
  5. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

I have often done car / lift sharing which has saved a lot of petrol cash. Worth it even for part of the journey!

install likes this.
  6. install

install Star commenter

Well done you. Yes you end up living up for work if the commute is long. You are doing the right thing by looking to reduce that imho. You will save money too.

Piranha likes this.
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

That really does seem to be a sensible way forward. I hope it works out well for you.

install likes this.
  8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If I had to work at home in the evenings as well as commute an hour each way, I'd not be able to manage it.
    I get home, eat and lie on the sofa!

9. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

A good point to bear in mind! When you get home from school, after a frustrating commute, you might only be two thirds of the way through your working day!

Teachers having to relocate to schools closer the their homes is nothing new. Twelve year ago, when the cost of petrol and diesel skyrocketed, many teachers had to find somewhere nearer.

10. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

If your current contract is 0.8, you're unlikely to complete your NQT this academic year. Make sure you know where you're up to with that.

agathamorse likes this.