1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT and suffering big time...

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by heyscarlett, Dec 2, 2019.

1. heyscarlett

heyscarlett New commenter

I'm an NQT who has not even finished her first full term yet teaching secondary drama and I absolutely hate it. Some days I think it's fine and other days I'm sat crying for hours because I feel like I'm not enjoying it. I feel like my teacher training year didnt prepare me enough for what it's like. I also cant tell if it's the school that I dont like or the job. I regularly find myself scrolling on jobs sites looking for a new career. Has anyone been through the same or can give me advice?

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

You first year as a fully qualified teacher, with full responsibility for planning and teaching the curriculum to classes of children, and for the results of those children, is very different to training as a teacher. I think a lot of people find it a shock, especially during the first term - I know I did. Sometimes I hated it and felt I wasn't good enough, but there were parts I enjoyed too. I am still in teaching now, but only you know how you feel and whether there is anything you enjoy, or could enjoy if school policy didn't say you have to do it in this way. You trained as a teacher for a reason and got on well enough during your training to pass and get offered an NQT job. You can do it, but only if you want to. Keep pushing through until Christmas, have a good break, and reevaluate how you're feeling once you've had a chance to relax.

agathamorse and heyscarlett like this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Try and finish the year, if you can, then you have your QTS on your CV

Don't worry if you can't. many NQTs drop out. That because the job is ****.its not any reflection on you. Dropping out is a perfectly sane and valid response. Most people who I know who have dropped out have gone on to be happier and richer in other spheres, eventually

agathamorse likes this.
  4. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Did you enjoy working in your training schools? If so, then it's not the job, its the school. By Our Lady, there are some truly awful ones out there.

Did you hate your training schools and hope that your NQT year would be better? If so, it's probably the job.

As for leaving - would you feel morally obliged to keep your finder in a plug socket? Or to allow an alligator to munch on your leg? If not - why continue in a situation where you are making yourself ill?

agathamorse and Corvuscorax like this.
  5. SCAW12

SCAW12 Occasional commenter

What specifically is it you hate?
    Marking?
    Planning?
    Behaviour?
    Teenagers?
    Meetings?
    Management?
    Never having time to go to the toilet/have a drink/sit down/eat?
    Long hours?
    If it's a few of these, stick with it and finish your NQT year.
    If it's all of these, quit - it's not going to change. Next year you get even fewer PPAs!
    Good luck

agathamorse and Shedman like this.
  6. TeacherMan19

TeacherMan19 Occasional commenter

Break it down and try and identify what it is that you enjoy or don't enjoy. Write it down if that's what you prefer and make a huge list and weigh it up. You're already at Christmas. A third of the year done.
    And once you have your NQT, and have worked out what it is that you don't like, it's easier and more fun (in some situations) when working abroad. Always an option to give it a try if you don't fully want to step away from teaching.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The OP is already a qualified teacher and gained QTS after their Initial teacher Training.
    The OP is currently on an Induction programme. Passing Induction does not confer QTS as you need QTS in order to start Induction!