1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT and ready to quit already.

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by RedBedHead94, Sep 18, 2016.

1. RedBedHead94

RedBedHead94 Established commenter

I THINK my HOD is off sick but either no-one knows,or no-one will tell me. They know I'm bobbing around with my face underwater rather than swimming in this job - they expect me to just try harder it seems. I want to try harder. I physically and mentally cannot. Someone on the train home heard me talking to my MIL about my job, and had to tell me that she'd never be brave enough to work in a school - 100% sure I'm not brave enough either now!

GP is booked for next week already - perhaps my lovely doctor's input will make the school realise that i'm struggling as opposed to slacking?

I do have kids from more than one group now. I may go with the expert group idea to tide me over - cheer! Problem is this move has destroyed the rapport I had built with the classes, so behaviour has gone down the toilet. The data sets I'd made are gone. My seating plans all have to be redone ASAP (SLT insist on them being digital and kept updated in a central folder.)

I'll make it through tomorrow somehow. I don't know how but I have no choice I guess.

2. RedBedHead94

I think you mis-spelled 'resign' ;)

I have a countdown app on my phone - It's still too far away for my liking!

pepper5 likes this.
  3. RedBedHead94

Apparently my dept was a sinking ship last year - HOD was useless and left, the main GCSE teacher just put videos on, and some of the other (now gone) teachers just had kids copying off the board. The one teacher that was here last year teamed up with another member of staff to keep things above water - that man has saved my butt today thank goodness. So yeah, I guess they thought even I would be better than what they had but half the price - I knew I wasn't good enough to be employed on merit...

4. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

That is NOT what I said at all! My point was that some schools hire NQTs but then can't be bothered to offer the support they require and deserve.

peter12171 and RedBedHead94 like this.
  5. RedBedHead94

I know you didn't say that - I'm inferring from them employing me when they obviously knew that they wouldn't be in a position to give me full support. My appointment is a bit unfair on my HOD - she has got way too many fires to fight I think...

I agree. I've seen it elsewhere - Schools think we are just cheap alternatives and don't realise that NQTs need a lot of help. I guess... they aren't differentiating for me properly? (is bad teacher jokes a hashtag yet?)

6. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

I think you also need to remember you survived your NQT and have so far survived this 1/2 term in very difficult circumstances! Don't give up teaching until you've tried another school.

I promise you - teaching is worth it.

As for class report - go back to the start, 3 clear expectations for your class & reinforce, reinforce!

Regardless of how busy your HoD is (we always feel we are swamped) they MUST make time for you!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. RedBedHead94

PGCE was a walk in the park (with a lot of potholes, but still better than this) - I trained in Kent and the schools I was in had far less complicating factors than this one. Problem is now #1 finding a new school when I'm a bit broken, #2 telling my family that i'm either quitting or bailing on this school (either way they're all going to be a bit cross) and #3 sacrificing that inner London wage-slip (the least important but still.)

I'm struggling to convince myself that this IS challenging - I keep thinking it's just me being a bit useless!

I've done it a few times but I will re-iterate : thank you guys so much for responding to my grumbles - it's helped me retain some notion of sanity so far!

8. lostsocks

lostsocks New commenter

I take my hat off to you to it sounds like you are having a rotten time. I really admire you for seeking advice and glad to hear you observation went well.
    I finished my nqt year last year under very difficult circumstances... I wish i had broke out earlier it had a massive impact on my health and my confidence was destroyed.
    However, I am very happy on supply I have just done a week and a half stint, and you can really focus on teaching rather than paperwork and other admin and it is far less stressful. I'm planning on doing this and returning to teaching in the near future. Its also really nice to steal ideas and has given me a bit of a boost.
    I wish you all the best, you sound like a well driven teacher. But please remember it is just a job, life is to short to be miserable xx

9. Urbanfaerie

Inner London school?! I wouldn't cope at all!

I have realised over the last few years that my natural inclination is to say "Everyone else is so put out by having to support me. I'd better not ask for anything because it'll cause them issues" and then crashing and burning because of it. Whether your HoD is new or not, they chose to take on a role that includes supporting NQTs. If they didn't feel capable they could have stayed 'just' a teacher.

I learned the hard way that I had a choice either to ask for support (which people do actually appreciate you doing) or ending up swamped with anxiety and off sick with stress. The past two years I've chosen to ask, and because of this I'm now getting comments about how great a teacher I am.

This is all a long way of saying to ask for the support you need!

10. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

If you survived your PGCE and are coping with the chaos that is clearly your NQT year - I'd say your definitely cut out to be a teacher.

I still believe teaching is the best job in the world (even if sometimes I wonder if I'm the only one on here who does) find the right school for you, be it a RI school or an outstanding school, and you'll fly!

11. secretsiren

secretsiren Star commenter

PGCEs are tough but you do - usually - get support. NQT years are often harder because some (not terribly bright) older teachers assume you're OK to just get on and do it. Lack of support, poor mentoring, lack of time...they all conspire to make you feel like a giant failure.

My advice is less to do with the teaching side of it, I'm afraid, and more to do with you.
    Firstly, you are in a poorly set up school with no systems for supporting NQTs, a HoD who is failing in their duty of care to you (I have a normal teaching timetable as HoD of a core subject and I still make time in my working week to mentor, coach and offer support to my department members who need it), a department drowning in the quagmire, and you've been dumped in there with no help or guidance. You should be congratulating yourself for not turning round and walking out on the first day! You've done over a month in a place that most of us would drown in, experienced or not. Well done! You should feel proud of sticking it out.
    Secondly, don't feel bad about changing school. They have not done anything they're meant to do in order to support you. Why should you feel bad about leaving? I would imagine that 99% of teachers would be reading the job pages in your situation. Changing job is not an admission of failure. It is not to do with you not coping or not 'hacking it' in a difficult place. It is simply a question of finding a place that is not as chaotic and with appropriate, decent support in place for a new teacher. Your family will understand, I'm sure.
    Thirdly, don't take any of it personally. You're struggling with class behaviour because the school has poor systems not because of your teaching. Your HoD is struggling because of the scale of the job they have to do so they're trying to avoid doing bits that they consider OK to leave (i.e. supporting you as an NQT). In a better school you will undoubtedly find things easier.

Look after yourself physically. Look for a new job. And feel proud of your achievements in very tough circumstances.

12. RedBedHead94

Colleagues,

Thanks for all of your help so far. It seems that the Year 7 set changes were too much for me, and i've been suffering severe panic and anxiety attacks all weekend - to the point I was yelling and sobbing uncontrollably at my poor boyfriend because my hair didn't try right! I've been signed off until after half term by my GP, referred to IAPT, and the GP is insisting that my school put me through Occupational Health.

Would have listened to my mentor and kept dragging on thinking this was 'normal' without your wise words. You've saved a career hopefully! If not - a newbie's sanity!

Lara mfl 05 and blueskydreaming like this.
  13. Urbanfaerie

I'm very glad you're not assuming it's all you. Hopefully you can find a better school.