1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT and ready to quit already.

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by RedBedHead94, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Elvis0

Elvis0 New commenter

Because for the moment I have no other choice. And I don't appreciate your tone.

2. RedBedHead94

RedBedHead94 Established commenter

It's nice to know so many people want to offer advice! Thanks everyone.

I'm doing a little better this week. I nicked a load of document wallets - enough for each period of our two week timetable - and use my frees to make sure I've got everything ready for my hectic and full Monday - Thursday timetable. This has helped a lot as I am not panicking about printing - my NQT mentor suggested I try this so there's been some improvement in support.

For those saying about the union - I've been a member since PGCE, have contacted them, and have heard very little back. The local manager said he'd call but nothing so far. Hopefully it won't be a problem because my SLT link and NQT manager/HOD seem to be rallying behind me. They're trying to convince me that I will not be held to the exact same standards as more experienced colleagues as everyone is aware that NQTs are still finding their feet. So far all feedback has been positive or tips for improving as opposed to listing what was ****.

A lot of my issues are stemming from mental health/physiological issues. When/if I can get cover for lessons, I will see my doctor and get some support.

So I'm getting on top of things so far, apart from the marking mountain that we all have to climb. That is, until my first official observation on Friday.....

blueskydreaming likes this.
  3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Unfortunately the unions are inundated with problems from their members, so you won't get much out of them unless something serious happens.

The named NQT person at your local authority can be contacted confidentially if you have concerns about support or NQT procedures not being followed, and they can come into your school to meet with you in private if need be.

Chin up though, sounds like your school is being supportive!

4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

SEARCH ASSOCIATES are probably the best recruitment agency for international teachers, but the TES also has plenty of overseas jobs.

A certain amount of leg-pulling is de rigeur on the forum for teaching overseas. However, it seems that OFSTED and Council Tax have taken their on Elvis0.

5. Elvis0

Elvis0 New commenter

Be a happy hippo and get a life :rolleyes:

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Good luck whatever you decide.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If your Union are not supporting you then join another that will!
    The requirement for induction is to perform satisfactorily for the purpose of induction so the judgements of your teaching ( by others and you) need to be in the context of your first professional year.
    Do contact the Appropriate Body if your concerns continue

8. cmacc90

cmacc90 New commenter

I am an NQT and I have found that other NQTs as well as RQTs are a pillar of support in these first few difficult weeks as you try to get up to speed with everything!! You do get a lot of information thrown at you in a short space of time and it can be difficult to take it all in first time!!

My advice is to make an effort to seek out the other NQTs and arrange a meeting with all of them, preferably with your mentor but just yourselves if that's not possible. Also try to seek out a friendly face in your department who you can turn to for advice. RQTs are a great source of help because they have been in your position recently and remember how tough it is so they are always willing to help!

Don't give up so soon though, try to remember why you wanted to be a teacher in the first place and persevere!

9. RedBedHead94

Did that! The other NQTs here are not particularly chummy. Luckily my PGCE subject group from ITT are all really close, so we still support each other.

I still feel better today. I think its because half my PPA allocation is on Fridays. I've started wading through the treacle and just tackling one thing at a time, and deadlines can go to hell - if they want things done superspeed, they can bloody well support me properly!

I'm being observed by my HOD and SLT Link tomorrow. Hopefully it'll be ok - preparing for a 3. It's fine, as long as they don't railroad me with the feedback.

10. msbumble

msbumble New commenter

I feel exactly the same in terms of feeling like a burden. I'm in my NQT year, and while the school and staff are lovely, I too am struggling with the workload.

I have no real advice to give, other than see if there is someone you can talk to in school. It could be any of your colleagues, don't feel like you can't express your concern to someone who isn't your mentor/line manager etc. Ultimately, your emotional well being is the most important thing. I suffer from anxiety (have done for years), and am feeling overwhelmed by the prospect of mocksted next week (and preparations for an Ofsted before Christmas). But I know that there are people in school I can talk to about it. Dreading going to work is unhealthy, especially in a job like ours where you don't just "switch off" at 5pm.

Like I say, I know it's nothing particularly helpful, but please don't feel like you are alone in this. You have worked so hard to get here, you deserve to have someone at your work to tell you what a good job you're doing (believe me, you are).

x

11. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

Hi,

I hope your observation went well today and that you've got some positives to take into the weekend.

I love being a teacher and have been teaching for 14 years, however, I hated my NQT year and my school to start with - I had a lack of support, a pervy mentor who really disliked me (can't help but think it was because I wouldn't go for a drink with him lol!). I seriously wanted to quit and get out of teaching! I am so glad I did not & the school I hated became a place I found incredibly difficult to leave after more than a decade there. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it does take time to settle into a new school and don't be too swift in resigning.

A piece of advice I always give to new teachers is to accept the fact that you will never be able to complete your To Do list but that as long as you prioritise your workload will be manageable. I recommend using a matrix to help you prioritise - I use the Stephen Covey quadrant to help prioritise my week:

https://goo.gl/images/Bj8SE5

I would also recommend setting yourself working hours and not going beyond those - for example I work 7am-7pm Mon-Thurs, I finish a bit earlier on a Fri to squeeze in the pub, once 7pm hits my work day is done - I don nothing at home of an evening and I don't work weekends.

If you need any more support do feel free to message me :)

12. RedBedHead94

Hi! Thank you for your kind words. I fluffed the teaching bit as soon as my HOD and SLT walked in - damn nerves! But they found positives. They commended my perseverance and positivity (they are aware of my feelings) and have given me tips to improve on. They are going to drop in and check that i'm ok more often apparently. Unfortunately my HOD did a book check during the obs and found that i'd been marking the exam questions wrongly - whoops! Time to read the specification more thoroughly...

I'm still tempted to leave. Sunday night is still filled with reluctance for it to end. There is a job opening at my MIL's firm, in her department, and i'm tempted to go for it - I fit the bill perfectly and teaching skills translate beautifully into HR management roles. They pay well and get to leave their work in the office (which i'm told has a supportive, positive and energetic vibe.) I'm going to see what she says (being my ever-present voice of logic) and depending on when the job closes I may apply and resign for Christmas. But we will see.

I've tried to reflect on my feelings by updating my CV to say i'm looking for non-educational roles. It didn't feel wrong which really hasn't helped!

The coming week won't help matters - I left school on Friday having had to hash lessons for Monday due to EVERY printer in the school malfunctioning simultaneously.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. RedBedHead94

Ok, so I've gotten over my silly cowardice and booked a doctors appointment for next Monday. I should not dread coming to work or feel so constantly anxious and irritated. I should not be dropping 1kg a week through stress, or suffer the other physical symptoms - even though it's my NQT year this is not normal. Hopefully now they'll see that I'm having some issues more than newbie nerves. I feel bad because people are trying to support me but something really isn't right with me at the moment.

14. xxalex123xx

xxalex123xx New commenter

Just wanted to tell you your not alone. I have no words to help but am also an nqt and also struggling majorly. Just trying to focus on getting this year done then I can rethink my plans

15. RedBedHead94

Another massive setback. The year 7 sets have just changed without much warning. The whole department was teaching lessons in a different order so now all the kids have done some lessons but not others. My HOD is MIA.

This is making me physically ill.

16. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Perhaps you should apply for a teaching job in an international school.

17. snail_friendly

snail_friendly Occasional commenter

Take a deep breath, unfortunately this is not unusual with YR7 - but is far from ideal.

If you can't find your HoD you need to email them & ask for a time to meet to seek advice.

Speak with others in your department - how are they over planning to overcome this? Is this something that always happens?

Finally, do you now have students from more than one class in your group? If this is the case you could do some group teaching of topics while other groups work independently on a project until all students are at the same place or you could create 'expert' groups and have each group teach a topic to groups who haven't covered it.

If you are feeling physically ill you may also want to contact your GP.

Stay strong!

RedBedHead94 and pepper5 like this.
  18. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Half term is not far away. If you can take one day at a time until then, you can regroup during the break.

Take snail's sound advice.

19. Urbanfaerie

Urbanfaerie Occasional commenter

My NQT year was very much like this. Often schools want an experienced teacher for the price of an NQT. I ended up leaving that school and finishing elsewhere.
    It's taken me a while to find a good workplace that supports me as much as I need. Often that lack of support and anxiety can make you feel like you're a 'bad teacher' but given all the lovely comments I've had from my TAs and others in my lessons recently I can promise this is untrue.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  20. RedBedHead94

Not an option really - my partner works here in the UK and I wouldn't want to relocate. I'll just apply for a job that isn't teaching. Hell, I'll even go back to retail where I earned a pittance for getting spat at by rich old people.