1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT and Paternity

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by RugbyReading, Jul 6, 2020.

1. RugbyReading

RugbyReading New commenter

Hello

Just to start off, I've spoken to my line manager regarding the thread title (and the HT is aware of my situation, in the sense that she has said congratulations - but we have not had a formal sit down yet), but I just wanted to see if anyone else has experience of this. I've secured a job this September and so will be an NQT going into 2020/21. I'm also going to be a first-time father with a due date of the 14th (so realistically, two weeks before or two weeks later is a real possibility).

I've looked on the government website and it states that a person would need to be in consistent employment for 26 weeks to be entitled to the 2 weeks off for Paternity. Will this be the same in Education and if so, will it be the discretion of the Headteacher whether or not I could take the time?

We're fortunate that my mother-in-law will be staying with us for a number of weeks, so we have support at home, but it would be wonderful to have that two weeks to get to know my baby and learn some basics before heading back to work.

But yeah, a very exciting end to the year and one that I'm sure will be incredibly challenging as well...

2. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Speaking from experience here...... I am not a legal expert- but my view is this.... far better people than me on here (disclaimer)

The 26 week thing of course applies to schools. You are not entitled to statutory paternity therefore IMO.... but ask business manager/head ASAP

now, schools can do what they like with regarding paying out of their budget for you... convo you need to have...

paternity pay- you are aware it’s not paid at salary level aren’t you? Shocks me number of people who aren’t!

harsh-but-fair likes this.
  3. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Ok.
    If it was me, and it's not, I wouldn't take paternity in the first month after the most disruptive term in education ever when I was an NQT when there was additional support at home as well.
    Don't you have a year to take it? I'd save it.

4. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

it’s a tough one though isn’t it? Fathers will want to be around, and really for the bloke them two weeks are important to acclimatise to family life..... but.... the paternity argument sadly comes down to can you actually afford it. What is really wrong. For two measly weeks..

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Can't you take shared parental leave or some such? So much later in the year you can have a couple of months?

6. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

It's not about when to take it, you're not entitled to it.

cheesypop likes this.
  7. cheesypop

cheesypop Senior commenter

Yep. You are not entitled and I’m sorry but, as I said above, I wouldn’t in this current climate even ask.

I’m assuming you want to be at the birth. I would have a conversation with the headteacher ideally before the end of term but if not at the start of next term, where you say ‘I know I’m not entitled to paternity leave, obviously I want to be at the birth, is it ok if I keep my phone on in school / have an arrangement where I can be contacted immediately by reception / can text my line manager in the evening or early morning if something happens out of school time? That way you start the conversation.
    The head could then offer you something but I wouldn’t count on it.

https://www.gov.uk/paternity-pay-leave/eligibility

8. wallflowers22

wallflowers22 New commenter

Our first child was due 20th September (2014) and my husband started in a new school that September. The head kindly allowed him 2 weeks off but paid at SPT - he was entitled to that as he was working the year before which obviously isn’t the case for you.

so basically, if you can afford no pay, you may find your head is happy to give you time.

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The latter probably works better during lesson time - it means that someone in reception can get the ball rolling on finding someone to cover you. You can't go until someone arrives to take over your class, so that's the most urgent thing. If you get the call, mid-teaching, you've then got to stop and phone down to the office.