1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT and handing in notice of leave

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by scalum94, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Hello bit of a tricky situation! As an NQT, if you hand in your notice of leave, how much time is the school required to keep you on as a minimum?
    I am now starting my second term of employment, however deciding to hand in my notice of leave. However, a big issue is that the school is saying that I can only continue working on my maternity contract, or to resign immediately despite how much notice I give.
    This seemed really odd to me as although I wish to leave, the employer in any other job would surely have to give you a period of leave, rather than dismissing you without notice?
    There were too many factors for me to find a clear answer myself!

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It depends on your contract School Teacher Pay & Conditions has set periods of a half terms notice . If you are under another contract the statutory notice period of one week in your first year of employment.

3. vhsemper

vhsemper New commenter

I've had a period of notice to work following the acceptance of my resignation. If you don't mind me asking, why are you leaving please?