1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT and covering staff absences

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by msloops, Jan 17, 2011.

1. I think you might confused the term PPA here. You shouldn't be allowed to use ANY of your PPA time to cover staff. Each member of staff should have a certain number of PPA periods a week, which are protected: as far as I know they're not allowed to use you for cover in those. I think it's supposed to be half a day a week or something like that - at my school everyone gets 2 hours a week PPA. In addition to that you probably also get some more non contact time that is not actually PPA, so you can be used for cover in those. It's very unlikely that you have 6 PPAs a week - you may have 6 free lessons 2 or 3 of which are actually PPA. It sounds like your timetable is not compltely full so, annoying as it is, they are allowed to use you for cover lessons.
    As an NQT your teaching timetable should be reduced by 10% compared to a full time teacher with no extra responsibilities. However this doesn't necessarily mean you get this as extra PPAs.
    It sounds like you need to find out which of your free periods are PPAs where you can't be used for cover. Then if they try to make you cover during your PPA you can just say, "there must be a mistake - this is my PPA"

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

School is taking the p- induction time should be protected otherwise they are breaking the regulations for NQTs. Complain and discuss with your union rep. If that fails then involve the LA Named person who is responsible for the quality of induction in schools.

3. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

This is correct. This is how it works:
    PPA time = all teachers have 10% PPA time, this is protected and cannot be used for cover or any other directed activity other than planning, preparation and assessment as the teacher sees fit.
    NQT time = an additional 10% (so PPA+NQT=19%). Again, this is protected, but can be used for directed activities related to inductions, including training, attended courses, mentor meetings, observation of other staff etc...
    Free time = some schools might be over-staffed and this usually results in teachers having additional 'frees' on their timetable which are neither PPA nor NQT time. This can be used for cover, but as 'Rarely Cover' says, must not be done so routinely.
    I'd argue that the OP has been badly misused. I'd be raising questions. NQTs can be used for cover provided it's in time that is not PPA or NQT time. But it mustn't be done routinely or in cases where the absence in known about in advance.