1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT and behaviour

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by DucklingsClass, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Does anyone has any advice?

I am starting with a Reception class in September and at the moment, all I can think about is behaviour. I want to make sure that I manage them effectively but I do not have the experience people who have been teaching many years do. We also have OFSTED due in September so want to get the children into shape straight away!

What tips can you offer?

No stickers allowed by the school.

Thanks for any tips :)

2. are they not allowed stickers on their clothes or not at all? Sticker charts could be a way round this but may take up alot of space. you could use stamps instead on a chart with the childrens name on and when they get to 10 stamps in total they get a prize?

3. No, no stickers at all! Head doesn't agree with them and says children should only need a thumbs up or a smile to behave well!

4. I can see what he means, but I've never ever been into a school without any behaviour management/reward system in place at all! Presumably the kids get consequences for bad behaviour? So it is only fair to have consequences for good behaviour too!

Can you do something more discrete than a sticker chart? e.g. yesterday I saw classroom where a teacher had imported a table of all the children's names into a smart notebook doc, and used the highlighting-smiley tool to award 'smilies'. In that school 10 smilies gets a certificate. (other classes get reusable smiley face tokens to blutak onto a chart)

If your head really insists on no structure whatsoever, I;d start by asking what other teachers do. And you're going to have to work massively on teaching good behaviour, which young chn find tricky because they are inherently selfish. This book might help - Managing behaviour in the early years By Janet Kay . It actually argues against rewards as well if I remember correctly.

Good luck!

PS would it be churlish of me to suggest that your head has probably not taught in a real classroom for 20 years?