1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT advice

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Diana1524, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Diana1524

Diana1524 New commenter

Hi there!

I was wondering if I can get advice on my NQT year/experience.

I have started in a primary school in September in London and I am really not enjoying the experience. Like most people who I have seen post on here , who are dissatisfied, I work very long hours (70-80 hours a week). However I do not mind that as much since I expected it but I am very unhappy with the way that everything I do is criticised . Last year in my PGCE I have constantly got grades 1 and 2 so I was quite shocked by the negative feedback I receive without a single positive comment.

I also feel that it is quite strange that without notifying me, I have different members of senior management team come in and do learning walks, book checks and more without warnings.I also received quite a bad first observation by the head (this was not an NQT observation , it was a school one) where the head had to return in a few weeks time. I felt shocked and a bit scared on passing my NQT year. After they have returned I had more of a positive feedback which I am glad about but of course not enough to change my mind about leaving the school. I have told the head that I am thinking of handing in my notice so I could leave in January but I am a bit concerned about their reference and them passing me in my first observation. I have a question about the three formal observations . Do you need to pass all three to get the NQT? Also, I am concerned that I will not have a good reference from them so will find it difficult to secure a place elsewhere in London. I have not started looking yet but would you say it will be hard in London to find a job? I was also wondering if there are any recommendations of agencies that I could use if I do not secure a job right away in January?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You are meant to show 'progress' throughout the NQT year, so for example if you did not get good lesson feedback in term 1 as long as things improve in term 2 it's ok; you do not need to reach the mythical 'outstanding' by the end of the year. The final term is the most important, as this is when the school recommend you pass or fail the NQT year. Also, they are *meant* to judge you holistically - so, on everything you do as a teacher, not just the lessons they observe.

As for the learning walks and book scrutinies, some schools do these things more frequently, or with less/no warning than others. Is it just you being learning walked?

Are you having weekly mentor meetings? Are you having other forms of support, such as are you able to see others teachers teaching? Have strategies been suggested to improve what they want to be improved?

What did you say to the Head about leaving? You've got to be careful not to upset them. If it were me, I would have made the decision to resign, then handed in a bland resignation without stating me reasons, or fobbed them off with something vague about personal circumstances.

3. Pomz

Pomz Lead commenter

You may need to give it some time to get used to things. It's not like a PGCE, it's real work and when you are inexperienced, everything takes a long time - This improves rapidly with experience.

You don't 'pass' or 'fail' observations. You pass or fail the whole year. Observations and other evidence over time will help determine which outcome is arrived at.

This means they think you are making progress. This is good...

No. There are zillions of teaching vacancies in London. Might look a bit odd that you have left your first school after so short a period though. You'd better prepare a good story.

Standard - Just read the many threads on here. You just need to get used to it if you're going to stay teaching. If you're doing a good job, it doesn't matter anyway.